Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the track on sunday for and open track day at the local road racing course. The sessions were like 20 minutes each. Shortly into each session I'd notice that my oil temp gauge was way up pegging the high side. As a reaction I looked at the water temp guage and that was sitting perfectly at normal. The water temp gauge would only start to move towards hot on the final lap or to, and only when its really hot outside.

Basically I'd like to start gathering infos on possible adding in an oil cooler to help keep those temps down. I also know that I could prolly go in and wrap the cat (seeing as it passes right by the oil pan) and that should also help. Any info would be great as i'm kinda new at all the non basic mods. (edit: This will also help to keep temps down once i go turbo in the spring)

- Aku

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a clue, hence why i'm asking these questions. I've heard of some sort of inline cooler that mounts in an oil line somewhere and then i just spice a waterline and run water through.. a water to air cooler kinda deal but i don't know for sure what it is.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
he's talking about what i have on the Contour motor...

you can buy a little sandwich plate that spaces out the filter another inch or so, and then you run the water/coolant through that plate and it cools the oil as it passes through.

i might actually have one from when i bought the 3 gauge A pillar i know he sent the oil pressure sender and some kind of sandwich plate.

found it!

http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oil-cooler-sandwich-block-adapter-20mm.aspx

thats what i have... except the right size for the Zetec block.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did a little searching on here and apparently the SVTF already has some sort of cooler from the factory. If anybody has more info on this that'd be great. I only every make the oil temps go up when I track it the 3-4 times a year i actually do this but Imo it wouldn't hurt to cool the oil for daily driving either (correct me if i'm stupid plz btw).

Also I feel that if i'm running hot now when I turbo next summer the oil would end up being even hotter so trying to do some preventative stuff.

·
Registered
142 Posts
ur right my bad

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
edited cuz ^ edited

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
there was a long thread about this from Tom and FocusSport. Tom said you don't need it and FocusSport said you do in the right application. Sounds like your kind of application if you're pushing it hard.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I read it. I know tom said most ppl don't need it but I do track this car when I can so I figured I may qualify into the ppl who need it category. Still gunna wait on ppl who are smarter than I to input.

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After I wanna say like 3-4 minutes of driving (which is 2-3 laps at the course i run at) its goes to hot and stays up there. The track is just over a mile long (i think) and when I take the cooldown lap before exiting the temps are back down to normal, but the whole time i'm driving its burried on hot

·
Registered
457 Posts
if the gauge is constantly pegged then you obviously have a different problem....

i had a problem with the gauge once, under about 55 the temp stayed normal, but above that it rapidly pegged...then slowing down it would instantly drop again...

i was like wtf???

since i just got my car worked on i took it back to the dealership, they found out that it was a problem with the wires or something...

like a broken circuit or broken ground...

just mentioning this incase your experiencing similar problems...if its only at the track though maybe your oil temp is just too high!

__keep in mind the oil temp gauge is morer or less not a "real" gauge, and just a calculation, but according to some people on here its pretty accurate...but at track conditions it could be thrown off, who knows?...not me!

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, if it did that while driving normally i can understand but keep in mind when i'm tracking it the car spends a good 20 minutes between 5k-redline while i'm tracking it so i'm not suprised the temps are high. i just know i wanna try to keep em colder if possible

·
Registered
142 Posts
well first ur gona have to find out to what degree the stock oil cooler, cools.
and then how much more u need to have the oil cooled.
so best place to start is the specs of the stock oil cooler

EDIT: also a after though, the gauge might just b a basic cold, hot, hotter. iv herd a couple ppl say they are fully functional. but how percise.?. it might not b that the oil is really THAT hot, it might just be above the hottest margin.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was at the track on sunday for and open track day at the local road racing course. The sessions were like 20 minutes each. Shortly into each session I'd notice that my oil temp gauge was way up pegging the high side. As a reaction I looked at the water temp guage and that was sitting perfectly at normal. The water temp gauge would only start to move towards hot on the final lap or to, and only when its really hot outside.

Basically I'd like to start gathering infos on possible adding in an oil cooler to help keep those temps down. I also know that I could prolly go in and wrap the cat (seeing as it passes right by the oil pan) and that should also help. Any info would be great as i'm kinda new at all the non basic mods. (edit: This will also help to keep temps down once i go turbo in the spring)

- Aku
The stock SVT gauge infers oil temp and pressure, they are not "real" gauges. Do not assume they are accurate. As for the temp gauge it offers little accuracy as well. My stock water temp gauge does not move from it's normal operating mark even as the actual temperature varies between ~190 to 210 degress. Think of it as a mechanical idiot light.
First determine what the water and oil temperatures actually are and proceed from there.
I've seen 210 degrees water temp max using a ScanGauge while on track with both a stock SVT and a Jackson supercharged version. The blown car was run at Sebring in 95 plus heat for 20-25 minutes, and at Watkins Glen in 90 temps for 40 minutes a session. The NA car has seen 110 degree air temps on track at Miller in Utah and 100 degree days at Willow Springs. The stock oil cooler seems quite adequate for those conditions.
An additional cooler may be warranted when adding a turbo with significant amounts of boost.

·
FF Affiliate
30,925 Posts
The stock SVT gauge infers oil temp and pressure, they are not "real" gauges. Do not assume they are accurate. As for the temp gauge it offers little accuracy as well. My stock water temp gauge does not move from it's normal operating mark even as the actual temperature varies between ~190 to 210 degress. Think of it as a mechanical idiot light.
First determine what the water and oil temperatures actually are and proceed from there.
I've seen 210 degrees water temp max using a ScanGauge while on track with both a stock SVT and a Jackson supercharged version. The blown car was run at Sebring in 95 plus heat for 20-25 minutes, and at Watkins Glen in 90 temps for 40 minutes a session. The NA car has seen 110 degree air temps on track at Miller in Utah and 100 degree days at Willow Springs. The stock oil cooler seems quite adequate for those conditions.
An additional cooler may be warranted when adding a turbo with significant amounts of boost.
Agree , then loose the 195 thurmostat and go to a 180 then turn the fans on sooner with a tune 10 to 15 deg cooler on the water if you have a oil cooler or not will help , If you have a water/oil cooler (SVT Focus) it will help even more , not only will this lower the water and oil temps but will lower the chance of deto and might pick up some performance

You have the header when moving hot air is heating the block/pan then you have the CAT if your running it that gets SUPER HOT just an inch from the bottom of the pan both of there wrapped and go to a ORP and wrap it cuts WAY down on oil temps

I dont like to see oil coolers on engines unless all other options have been tryed

Tom

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have my header wrapped already. I don't think I did the best job on it so i may wanna re do it eventually, but as far as wrapping the CAT is that legit? I've heard if you wrap the CAT bad things happen to it. I'm planning on going ORP when I do the turbo install So the manifold, downpipe, and orp were all going to be wrapped. But thats later.

question is would wrapping the stock cat be a good idea or will that just ruin it?

·
Sneeze
10,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, 180 Degree thermo ordered.

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
To be honest, losing the SRI will help your temperatures too, especially if it's hot outside. The stock intake keeps the intake charge as cool as possible and the sri lets in a lot of hot air. if it's bogging a bit at low rpm, it's heat soak.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts