Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 13 sedan with now just over 10,000 miles on it. I last changed my oil around 5800 miles, and about 9000 or so I checked my oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick was between the two circles. Topped it off with probably about an eighth of a quart, maybe less. Enough to get it over the second circle.
I know level of the car, and if any oil was in the motor can affect it. Both times I had driven the car that day, but it sat for probably 2 hours before I checked it.

I'm sure a little oil consumption is normal by ford, but my last car a 2011 kia rio, after 60,000 miles would use almost zero oil in between 5k changes.

I'll be keeping an eye on it more often after my next change but I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any oil consumption on theirs.

·
Strichmädchen & Koks
3,112 Posts
1/8 quart in that time is not at all unusual, and could very well be attributed to numerous variables.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
I wouldnt worry about 1/8th of a quart. if you had lost over a quart then maybe worry but 1/8th seems perfectly normal.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Totally normal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do at least 90% highway driving. There is no noticeable oil consumption on the stick.

Now I've probably jinxed it

·
Registered
87 Posts
You should NOT add oil if it stays within the marks, only if it goes below it. You should not go over the MAX level too.

I would monitor the oil level and see if it stops at some level or goes all the way below the min mark before making any decisions.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I've got a 13 sedan with now just over 10,000 miles on it. I last changed my oil around 5800 miles, and about 9000 or so I checked my oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick was between the two circles. Topped it off with probably about an eighth of a quart, maybe less. Enough to get it over the second circle.
I know level of the car, and if any oil was in the motor can affect it. Both times I had driven the car that day, but it sat for probably 2 hours before I checked it.

I'm sure a little oil consumption is normal by ford, but my last car a 2011 kia rio, after 60,000 miles would use almost zero oil in between 5k changes.

I'll be keeping an eye on it more often after my next change but I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any oil consumption on theirs.
Keep an eye on it.... that's how mine started. They replaced the short block after my consumption reached a quart every 800 miles. After replacing the short block my engine used zero oil between changes.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Wow, my Jetta ate almost 1 qt/1000 from the factory (I almost $hit when I checked the oil at ~3K miles and it was at the bottom of the dip stick) it later came out that some of the motors for my year (2000) had the rings in upside down causing the excessive consumption. They had a TSB and mine didn't meet the criteria for a rebuild (tracking the consumption). Drove it to 210K and it is still running today at 250K (sold to a friend's mom) with no major motor issues related to oil. It ate 5w-30 but when I switched to 0w-40 euro/VW-spec Mobil 1 the consumption dropped way off. 1/8 of a qt is so insignificant I wouldn't worry about it..seems completely in the realm of normal to me. Mine certainly is lower on the dipstick at the end of my 7,500 OCI and I don't even think twice about it.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yanik is spot on with the comment to observe & recheck over time before adding anything as long as it's within the marks.

Adding small amounts tends to overfill the engine, and at BEST that can contribute to increased consumption - at worst can cause damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts