Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if my car is in the US and I use full synthetic oil, the recommended oil change is 15,000 MILES.

However because my car is in Canada the recommended oil change is 15,000 KILOMETRES.

But when I convert 15,000 miles into kilometres at 1.6km per mile that gets me 24,000km between oil changes!

We're talking synthetic oil here of course but when the Jiffy Lube type places are also recommending synthetic oil changes at 8,000km you begin to wonder where these numbers are derived from!

The point of this post is to ask if anyone out there has a non-bias, non-dealership opinion on how 15,000 miles becomes 15,000 kilometres because of an invisible line called a border.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suppose I should also have said that I was looking for sensible, knowledgeable answers not stupid nonsensical sludge.
Actually, IMO, saintsfins comment was hilarious and yours is a bit uncalled for. This is an internet forum and forum members wisecracking with quips is pretty commonplace. If 1961 is, by coincidence, your birth year, your gonna be in for a rough ride with this crowd. Not too many of us certified old pharts are driving these "kids" cars and I got you beat by an additional 8 years of age. Please don't take some good natured joking as a personal affront to yourself - it's not.

FWIW, I have 300,000kms on my Focus (180,000mi) and have done all of the service work on this car. I'm super old school in respect of oil and change it every 5,000kms (3,000mi) with 100% synthetic 5W-20. Oil is still relatively cheap and don't forget that according to the NA manufacturers 99% of Canadian driving is done under "Severe Driving Conditions" except in Victoria and some parts of the deep South East parts of Ontario.

No need for you to respond to my post, just trying to offer a personal perspective.

Thanks and Cheers!

Mike

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
There can be no sensible answer when the person doing the manual translations for metrics obviously messed up, and you can find it all over the place in Ford publications.

The Jiffy Lube info becomes just as nonsensical when you realize (it comes with age and wisdom) that they call out for changes too early as they base profits on it.

Ford when they first went to the early computers extended the oil changes greatly since they knew the computers made the oil run much cleaner due to more complete burning, then the marketing guys flipped out and had the numbers lowered back down again as they lost millions in dealer service work.

So, they are always torn between trying to make their engines look more dependable by extending the oil changes, it being a competitive new car sales thing, and shortening them to get more dealer work in the doors.

Somewhere in there is reality and how long the engines will last but I don't think they put too much import on that specifically.

I'm at 9K changes and conventional thick oil and no syn at all and can't kill the cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ford extended the mileage in theory so you will need a new car after base warranty and powertrain warranties are expired. Think about how long a refrigerator lasts now a days, they want to sell you more.
any way oil is not the problem but the size of the oil filter. look at an Fl-1-a comparred to a Fl-910s. If your are going to push it past 5- 7500 at least change the filter 1/2 way through.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
X2, that puny oil filter is the first thing I changed on mine. FL-1 only. The one on my current Nissan is even smaller, and why bother? I'm using one now about 5X bigger on it and off a Jeep of all things.

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,435 Posts
This thread started out with the incorrect premise that the recommended oil change interval for a U.S. 2012 Focus is 15,000 miles. It is not. Here is the recommended change intervals from the 2012 manual...

7500-10000 Miles
(12000-16000) Km

Normal
– Normal commuting with highway driving
– No, or moderate, load/towing
– Flat to moderately hilly roads
– No extended idling

5000-7499 Miles
(8000-11999) Km

Severe
– Moderate to heavy load/towing
– Mountainous or off-road conditions
– Extended idling
– Extended hot or cold operation

3000-4999 Miles
(4000-7999) Km

Extreme
– Maximum load/towing
– Extreme hot or cold operation

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
FWIW, I've run all three of my Foci on 10 000-12 000kms full-synthetic oil change cycles. All have been driven in severe/extreme conditions (lots of cold weather, packed like a truck, driven 12-16hrs per day, etc.) and all have been scrapped though still running due to rust. Mileages were 400 000kms on the '01, 600 000kms on the '03, and the current one ('07) at 460 000kms and still a daily driver.

I would expect a newer model to do at least as well with similar intervals.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
And why they supplied a trans that now often won't. Can't sell new cars with old ones lasting that long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts