Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a quick question.

My 2.3 Duratec has 99,900 miles, I was thinking of running a little thicker oil than the recommended 5w-20. The guy at Autozone told me to try 10w-30, but I think that might be a little thick, especially seeing as it's cold out up here now during winter. Those auto parts store guys don't know anything!

I was thinking 5w-30. If it matters, I run Mobil1 Full Synthetic, and I change it every 2500-3000 miles.

Any input?

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I run 20w50 in my Focus... Its not a Duratec but that really doesnt make any difference.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You will not have any problems with 5w30. I think Ford just did that for some cold start-up fuel mileage thing, but 5w30 is just fine. I run that in M1 synthetic as well.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
The W stands for winter the thiner oil gives better gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All oil starts out at the higher number till it gets to operating temp and thins to the lower number.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a quick question.

My 2.3 Duratec has 99,900 miles, I was thinking of running a little thicker oil than the recommended 5w-20. The guy at Autozone told me to try 10w-30, but I think that might be a little thick, especially seeing as it's cold out up here now during winter. Those auto parts store guys don't know anything!

I was thinking 5w-30. If it matters, I run Mobil1 Full Synthetic, and I change it every 2500-3000 miles.

Any input?
If it does not use any oil I would stay with the 5W20 Moble 1

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Actually the 5 indicates the viscosity when cold and the w20, w30, etc indicates the viscosity when fully warm....

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am about where ur at mileage-wise, i have ran 5w20 mobil1 and am running 5w30 mobile 1..... Only thing i can notice is mpg difference. I also change fluids about 5k miles. Like i said minor mpg difference, but beat the piss
out of it so more viscosity = peace of mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stay with the Mobil 1 5W20.

The 5W20 flows like a 5 weight when the oil is cold and breaks down like a 20 weight would when it is hot.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I switched from 10w-30 to 5w-20 and noticed a very nice increase in mpg.

I was running 10w-30 because I had a very limited selection. :/

·
Premium Member
5,279 Posts
I'm running 15w40 in my turbocharged duratec. I doubt it's gonna make that big of a difference.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Mobil 1 makes a high-mileage 5w30/10w30/etc and its the same price as regular.

For what its worth I run 10w30 because I have built and beat on it.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There really isn't any reason to use anything other than manufacturer recommended oil unless you are heavily modded or burning oil.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have used synthetic 5W20 in our Focus since the first oil change at 500 miles.
This time, I filled the filter with 5W30, put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase, and filled the rest with 5W20. I run between 6 and 7K OCI, with an analysis once a year (by Blackstone Labs) with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There really isn't any reason to use anything other than manufacturer recommended oil unless you are heavily modded or burning oil.
True that. My 03 focus died in a wreck with 166k miles on the odometer and it saw nothing but 5w20 every 5k miles and never burned a drop of oil.

The 2010 will have oil changes every 7500mi with regular motocraft and I'm sure the engine will outlast the body.

Granted now i drive like like an old lady 90% of the time but it's because the company pays mileage and it's not worth burning the extra gas to go fast. lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
From last I was told, the thinner oil is due to closer mechanical tolerances. I'd stick with the 5-20 same price anyhow.
My 06 freestyle uses the same in its 3.0 Duratec, no issues either

1 - 17 of 17 Posts