Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed jacking on the 2 pieces of sheet metal that form a lip / seam.

That doesn't bend that lip? It didn't in the video. Is that the correct jacking point -- on that seam?

·
Registered
154 Posts
those beards were epic lol. Glad to see oil changes on these are pretty simple! on my Ram getting to the oil filter required contortionist abilities. Dodge saw fit to place a crossmember directly below the friggin thing! And on my 3rd gen Camaro the lip/seams on the sides are all bent up from jacking by PO's. But that's a heavier car as well....

·
Registered
289 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40uXBi5Rvzk

Does the oil filter always overflow that way upon loosening?

Off topic, but does he have a rear main seal leak, or DCT leak?
When the filter is mounted vertically, it happens no matter how quick you are. Leaking oil and difficult leverage are the downsides of a filter mounted as such. The upside is that you can prefill the filter without having it leak when you reinstall it (if you're into that).

The only way to get around it is to use a filter wrench, loosen the filter, and let all the oil overflow before you actually remove it. In any case, gloves should be worn when you know you're going to contact dirty oil.

Just as personal preference, I don't put the drain plug back on until right before I am ready to refill the oil. I like to get as many drips out as I can.

And that is definitely the DCT leak.

I also noticed jacking on the 2 pieces of sheet metal that form a lip / seam.

That doesn't bend that lip? It didn't in the video. Is that the correct jacking point -- on that seam?
That's the right jack point (for the side of the car), but the wrong jack to have continued pressure on the seam. If I were using that jack, I'd have a hockey puck or a piece of wood with a groove cut in the middle to fit the lip. I usually just use the spare tire jack to raise it up and keep it on jack stands.

For oil changes it's much easier to just use ramps unless you plan on doing other work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts