Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

It's been awhile since I've been here, since I've been enjoying my Focus. :)

I'm at 9,100 miles -- my next oil change is due at 10,100 miles. However, today, I started my car and got the: oil change required prompt at start-up. It now pops up every time I start my car (twice since original error this morning). Does this mean I need to check my oil levels? The car has had one oil change and the 10,100 miles mark was set by my dealership; I'm about 1,000 miles behind in terms of expectant date (they were assuming 10,100 miles in mid-September).

I should note that I have an appointment this coming Saturday for a lovely grinding noise from the front left of my car when I accelarate from 0-1,000 RPMS. It's not consistent, but it happens for about 3 seconds frequently enough to be concerned (particularly that it's the DCT troubles that I read about 65,215 times on these forums before purchasing my 2014 at this time last year).

Some feedback would be appreciated. Should I let it slide until it visits the dealer on Saturday -- or what I should I do? Admittedly, I don't know how to check the oil, but I'm sure my boyfriend does.

Thanks!

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
The oil change required message is the Oil Life Monitor which is simply an algorithm based on your driving habits that is telling you it's time to change the oil. It has nothing to do with the oil level nor does it physically sample the oil. You can wait until Saturday for the oil change.

It's not a bad idea to check the oil level when you fill up with gas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil change required message is the Oil Life Monitor which is simply an algorithm that is telling you it's time to change the oil. It has nothing to do with the oil level. You can wait until Saturday for the oil change.

It's not a bad idea to check the oil level when you fill up with gas.
Thank you! My oil changes are free at every 5,000 miles. So, my next oil change isn't yet due by my dealership. I assume they'll change it if my car is telling me so, but I wonder if they're able to adjust the setting themselves to avoid that notification coming on "early"?

·
Registered
217 Posts
sounds like dealer just forgot to reset the oil monitor at 1st oil change ,like wavsine said has nothing to do with oil level or condition, just a program that keeps track of driving style and miles basically ,should always check your oil on a regular basis

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I never heard of it.... Some guys complained the Oil Change Message never popped out!
If you're due to 10,000 and you're already around 9,000ish, it's about time
+1,000

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
As mentioned, EXTREMELY good chance the monitor wasn't reset at the first oil change, and it's telling you it's due for the first change now based on mileage & use.

They can't "adjust" it other than a reset, and doing so without a change would mean it might be another 9,000 until it came on again.

Much better to just tell them about the issue when it's changed to make sure they know of the mistake. You'd know right away if they forgot it this time!

With a change at about 5,000, you'd be fine to wait for the scheduled 10,100 change.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks much! I knew I'd get the answer here -- I don't pretend to be knowledgeable about my car in any way whatsoever in terms of mechanical specifics, so I completely appreciate the insight. :) I'll not worry too much and let them know when I bring the car in on Saturday -- then they can reset it during my next oil change.

·
Registered
822 Posts
As I was saying to another member, with modern cars and the longer oil change schedules, it is imperative that you check the oil from time to time between oil changes.

I used to do my own oil changes on my other cars in the past every 3000 miles. Now I have the oil changed at the dealer every 5000 miles. I've ALWAYS checked my oil level between changes regardless of 3000 or 5000 mile oil changes. I carry a quart of the Motorcraft semi-synthetic in my trunk.

Some people never check their oil level between oil changes. They figure they will just take their car into the dealer and have the oil changed when the schedule requires. BAD BAD BAD. You might get away with that when the engine has low mileage, but once your car starts getting some mileage especially over 30k, it's gong to eat a good bit of oil between changes. These people that have cars over 30k and don't check their oil level between changes could easily be running a quart or more low between changes. My Focus has a bit over 46k and it eats about 3/4 of a quart between my 5000 mile oil changes which is better than what some forum members have reported with thier Focus. One of the simplest most basic maintenance requirements for an engine - keeping the oil changed and the level correct, and owners neglect it. No wonder I see 2 year old cars blowing oil out the tail pipe sometimes.

For those first car newbies:

>Make sure the car is on level or as near level ground as possible.

> The best time to check the oil level is in the morning after the car has been sitting all nigh. That way most of your oil will be in the pan. Or, if you have been driving the car, give it a good 15 minutes or so fro the oil to drip down into the pan.

>Don't over fill!! Better to be slightly under the level than slightly over. The manual says as long as the oil level is between the hashmarks XXXXX ... you don't have to put any more oil in it.

...and here is why the "instant oil change" places are bad. They have you drive in. shut your engine off, and right away pull your dipstick. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They aren't giving the oil time to drip down off the top of your engine back into the pan. They do the same thin when they check your tire pressure. You have to check your tire pressure when the car has been driven less than 3 miles or hasn't been driven for at least 3 hours. You drive outside those 2 and the air in your tires heats up and expands.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Some people never check their oil level between oil changes.
My roommate would just get his oil changed when his car started warning him about low oil pressure. [facepalm]

Turns out he was running his 5.7L Charger with like 3 or 4 quarts when it has a 7 quart capacity. In fact, he took it to the quick lube places and the price they advertise ($25 or something) comes with 5 quarts but they never looked up his engine or mentioned to tell him that they should be putting in an extra 2 quarts. Surprisingly, they only charge $1 more per extra quart.

·
Registered
296 Posts
...and here is why the "instant oil change" places are bad. They have you drive in. shut your engine off, and right away pull your dipstick. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. They aren't giving the oil time to drip down off the top of your engine back into the pan. They do the same thin when they check your tire pressure. You have to check your tire pressure when the car has been driven less than 3 miles or hasn't been driven for at least 3 hours. You drive outside those 2 and the air in your tires heats up and expands.
BINGO! but the reason they have you start your car after adding the new oil is to fill the filter with oil as they dont prefill it prior to instillation. I always try to do this when the filter is vertical. in regards to the tire pressure this is spot on, unless you have nitrogen filled tires, and if you are you dont want them putting compressed air in there anyway.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My roommate would just get his oil changed when his car started warning him about low oil pressure. [facepalm]
He sounds like the kind of guy that puts air in the tires after the TPMS light comes on.

·
Registered
472 Posts
He sounds like the kind of guy that puts air in the tires after the TPMS light comes on.
To be fair, I havent my Focus very long yet but in my old XTERRA the TPMS was pretty sensitive. That thing would go off if you were 1 pound of air light. Soooooo annoying. I ended up running a few pounds over spec cause it was so annoying going off all the time. Didn't seem to have much affect, I ended up getting almost 85,000 miles out of 50,000 mile tires.

·
Registered
220 Posts
BINGO! but the reason they have you start your car after adding the new oil is to fill the filter with oil as they dont prefill it prior to instillation. I always try to do this when the filter is vertical. in regards to the tire pressure this is spot on, unless you have nitrogen filled tires, and if you are you dont want them putting compressed air in there anyway.
Atmospheric air is mostly nitrogen.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts