Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Livens;

I change oil twice a year; Once in the spring (nice weather) and again late fall before it starts freezing (again, nice weather). I don't look at mileage or keep track of it between changes. I use Motorcraft synth blend and a Motorcraft filter, usually from Walmart. My 2002 Focus has 253k on it now and the engine still purrs like a kitten.

Glad to hear it!
I'm at 454679, still runs like a scalded dog!

·
Registered
104 Posts
about 1 hour ago · #22
Foushboy said:
Original Post
I'm at 454679, still runs like a scalded dog!

Holy crap. No rebuilds on the engine + trans?

Nope! Second clutch though. I shift good, but drive like my @$$ is on fire ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
She does leak a bit of oil, front main and rear, but it's like half a quart a month maybe. Might be from the oil pump housing and then down. But in the fall I would like to freshen everything up. Yet at the same time I kinda want to take it to failure, just to see the mileage. I dunno which though...
Valve cover, water pump, belts, timing belt tensioners, ya know reg maintenance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
She does leak a bit of oil, front main and rear, but it's like half a quart a month maybe. Might be from the oil pump housing and then down. But in the fall I would like to freshen everything up. Yet at the same time I kinda want to take it to failure, just to see the mileage. I dunno which though...
Valve cover, water pump, belts, timing belt tensioners, ya know reg maintenance.
454679! Damn, you got me beat :).

I think the point is... More frequent oil changes with fancy($$$) oil and filters doesn't necessarily make your engine last longer.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Only way to know life of oil for sure is to run an Oil analysis sample. Take a sample and send it off for analysis.

Been doing this on my 2018 3.5L Ecoboost Explorer since first oil change. able to correlate actual oil life monitor with my driving habits and such.

This is with the Motor craft synth blend that the dealership puts in but its fairly accurate for use full life of lubricants and effective oil weight.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
And for everyone thinking they are running full synthetic, do a little research.

Mobil 1, for example, is not a full 100% synthetic oil and hasn’t been for a long time.
All about Synthetic Motor Oil
Fun article to read. You could tell it was clearly bias still and written still by a company selling a product. But provides a bunch of info.

·
Registered
13 SE Manual Hatch
35 Posts
Look up car-part.com prices for your engine. the 2.0l can be had for $350. that's pretty cheap for an engine. I have one next to me with 32k on it for $350. 66k for $300.

So it is not unreasonable to just stop changing the oil and just swap the motor when it goes. If you do the work yourself it can't be that bad, for how simple the engine are placed in the bay. I could probably swap it in a day. if your lucky it might blow right around when the clutch needs replaced.

Now if you have no tools or any idea what your doing, you should probably keep changing your oil. but for me its totally an option.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Look up car-part.com prices for your engine. the 2.0l can be had for $350. that's pretty cheap for an engine. I have one next to me with 32k on it for $350. 66k for $300.

So it is not unreasonable to just stop changing the oil and just swap the motor when it goes. If you do the work yourself it can't be that bad, for how simple the engine are placed in the bay. I could probably swap it in a day. if your lucky it might blow right around when the clutch needs replaced.

Now if you have no tools or any idea what your doing, you should probably keep changing your oil. but for me its totally an option.
Hmmm...

DIY Oil Change: $25 x twice/yr = $50/yr... ($350 / $50 = 7) My engine would have to last another 7 years with no oil changes (I didn't factor in oil used for topping off) before blowing up for this to make financial sense.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hmmm...

DIY Oil Change: $25 x twice/yr = $50/yr... ($350 / $50 = 7) My engine would have to last another 7 years with no oil changes (I didn't factor in oil used for topping off) before blowing up for this to make financial sense.
Lucky. I do mine nearly every month because of how much I drive.

Yet, I'd rather have my engine instead of one taken out of another focus because at least I know how mine was driven. Peace of mind > cheap engine in unknown condition.

·
Registered
13 SE Manual Hatch
35 Posts
Hmmm...

yeah not a great idea just saying replacing the motor is fairly cheap.

32k miles on a used engine is barely sketchy

21 - 34 of 34 Posts