Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried Mobil 1 Annual Protection with the correct Annual Protection filter last time around, it claims to be good for 1 year or 20,000 miles. Well, my change oil indicator came on today, pretty much exactly 10,000 miles since my last oil change. Did I get shafted on this Mobil 1 “20,000 mile” oil or does the oil change indicator just max out at 10,000 miles? 2012 Ford Focus SE

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @LmestarFF95, guess I’ll reset it and wait for the next indicator this fall in 10k miles. The fact that it was basically 10k miles exactly made me suspicious.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I don't like the idea either. You're putting your faith in a company's marketing campaign. oil does so much more than just general engine lubrication.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm using Amsoil Signature series, rated for 25,000 miles or 1 year. I change it every 6,000-9,000 miles.
Like all the others stated the oil warning is based on a timer, not oil quality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
Just keep in mind that when such claims are tested in somewhat controlled conditions (even if it is real world driving), they may not envelope the range of various driving conditions of the motoring public. It is likely that the tests of the oil and filter were done with a lot of highway miles and it is well known that such conditions produce much less wear and tear than a lot of stop and go driving.

In addition, whether the stuff works as advertised or not, going beyond the fluid change intervals specified in your owner's manual can void your warranty. If you are still in the warranty period and you bring in your vehicle for warranty service and they see the annual protection filter installed, they might question you about your oil change intervals and possibly even deny your warranty claim.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would rather spend a few bucks more and keep good, clean oil in it. Generally, I run Mobil1 with K&N or Mobil1 filter. I still change it more often than Mobil1 says.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I haven't had any issues ever with changing my oil every 3k. Sometimes less if I'm doing something that gives me an opportunity to incorporate oil change at same time. I remember a friend having a V6 Firebird that had a shop so that 7500 mile oil and filter change done several times. Then needed time up done, because of the way GM decided to shove the engine way back in that chassis the easiest way for dealer to do spark plug change was to drop the engine. She decided to costly, I told her that was crazy. I did it in the yard, and it was difficult, but I didn't have to drop the engine out to do it. But told her let's do oil change same time, get maintenance done same timing. That oil looked beyond what I'd seen out of anything besides a tractor or an abused mower. Filthy, small bits of metal stuck to a magnet when I dragged it thru the bottom of pan. Oil ring was being ate up along with God knows what else. Convinced her to get away from that car as soon as possible.
I don't believe the hype.
Don't be lazy, or cheap, just change your oil.
If it's in warranty still, dealership it, or keep your receipts.
If out of warranty, do it yourself so you know exactly what's going in and coming out. Take a sharpie and write what your next mileage should be for next change in your top left corner of windshield. It'll wipe right off with mild cleaner. No worries.
Peace and grease

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have two Focus... a 2012 Titanium with 257K on it, and a 2015 ST with 87K on it. Both cars get the same oil service. I run Mobil 1 with a quality filter and change it every 6K... great time to also rotate tires. So, that get done too. The oil is never visually dirty.

I do this because I'm old school and 10K seems a little crazy to me. I figure I'm already doubling the old schedule of 3K.

My chevy silverado uses oil (not burns it) due to low friction ring loss. It will go 15K before you see the oil change notice if you let it! But, you better keep the oil checked...It will use 1 quart about every 3.5K.

Bottom line... it's your car. Just remember if you are going to run the oil on an extended schedule you better check the oil level from time to time. It more important to have oil in the pan even if it's a little dirty. I can promise an engine failure if you run it dry. ;-)

Finally I was thinking about collecting a sample on my next change and have it tested to see where the impurities and friction additives are... It would be interesting.

If anyone is running their oil to the recommended oil change notice (@ 10,000 miles) I'd love to see what an oil analysis report looked like on that oil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
10,000 miles is the max for the oil filter. Doesn't matter what kind it is that's why they tell not to go over 10,000 miles without changing your oil. Was told this 25 years ago. Also, the oil change indicator light usually goes off engine hours.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I change oil twice a year; Once in the spring (nice weather) and again late fall before it starts freezing (again, nice weather). I don't look at mileage or keep track of it between changes. I use Motorcraft synth blend and a Motorcraft filter, usually from Walmart. My 2002 Focus has 253k on it now and the engine still purrs like a kitten.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts