Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Focus 2L
Does anyone know how often the oil filter should be changed? I am using synthetic oil which is not dirty yet but the filter has been on the car for about 5000 miles now. I don't know whether to change both the oil and filter or just the filter or wait until both need to be changed. The car only has 51k on it. The service guide says 5000 miles for the filter and oil but the oil is not dirty yet. I don't drive a whole lot.

Same thing for the thermostat. Don't know if I can wait or whether it can be done when I change the coolant, which I also suspect is not bad yet. Still looks yellow to me. [???:)]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Better to start changing coolant BEFORE the additives give up & you get rust/corrosion in the system. 5 yr. official life, you can change a lot by just draining from the radiator cock & refilling. Do it again in a few years. Thermostat in yours is a PITA, leave it until needed as we seldom see problems with the duratec ones.

Long interval with synthetic oil, most change the filter & top up at the normal interval. Change oil every other time.

I'll move this to General Tech Chat, it's been a while since the last good oil thread (grin).

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Thermostat isn't a common "service item", as sailor points out. Change the coolant.
People think low mileage cars are desirable but, imho, they spend too much time sitting or doing short distance, high wear trips and often end up in worst shape than well used, well maintained vehicles.
In circumstances like yours, use time instead of mileage to trigger routine maintenance tasks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought 2 gallons of coolant Motorcraft gold from Ford and a gallon of distiled water when I changed mine It took under gallon and 1/2 to change.Drain plug on mine on driver side of rad. I used a flat head screw driver to loosen drain plug. To remove all the air I jacked up passenger side and started engine let it run and refilled did this a lot. I dont know if jacking up is needed I figured if fill bottle is the highest in system air will go there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts