Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two questions:

1. What is the (?), and what does it do/how does it do it?

2. the tube is the Oil breather. I have an abnormal amount of Oil inside the tube, that is comming into the air intake tube and making my engine run rough. Why is the oil comming into the tube?

Please keep in mind that i have replaced my oil pan after putting a hole in it.
Here is the tread of that event.

Thanks

Mouse

Attachments

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
1) that tube is a PZEV component. sometimes called an air-pump. It draws in fresh air into the exhaust for better Catalytic convertor efficiency.

I could be wrong though.

2) that 3 color indicator that tells you that your 100,000 mile air filter is up? or the tube below it?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
the tube is the PCV system leading back to the intake.

the other thing is to tell you when your airbox needs to be changed.

foci_foshon, your car has one too

and the airpump only works breifly on start up, and for a short short time afterwards

·
Registered
108 Posts
umm well i dont have a pzev so i dont know, but if that is the oil breather tube you could have some serious trouble. that much oil going in would mean that you would be getting very excessive crank case pressure (compression passing the piston rings) so it is forcing the oil rich air faster/harder into the intake. now if it is the pzev tube like foci was saying, i have no idea how it would be pumping oil into the intake, unless you were burning so much oil it is forcing it into the cat and up through the tube

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok wicked posted while i was writing my post so since it is the breather tube..... how much oil is in the intake??? just barely any or enough to make the inside look fairly wet or what?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took my finger and wiped it half way around the inside of the intake tube and there was a drip size amount on the tip of my finger. What would cause this?

Mouse

·
Registered
409 Posts
Wow, these can't be real answers...

The tube: PCV - Positive Cranckcase Ventilation. It leads back to the valvecover to bring fresh/filtered/metered air to the crankcase (to replace burning oil vapor/vaporized fuel) and to put a slight vacuum on the back side of the rings. If it didn't, the engine would suck in lots of oil vapor on every intake stroke.

The reason you are having excess oil is simple. The rings did not seat during break in or they have failed since break in. It's called "Blow-By". It also happens a lot in "boosted" engines.

Look for an oil vapor filter at your local hardware store. They are $20 and are used to filter oil vapor out of compressed air lines (for a paint spray gun, mostly). Make a bracket and mount it in line. While it won't fix your rings, it will trap the oil before it gets in the intake.

Steeda charges $69.95, you can do it for $30

[edit] see next page

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
an abnormal amount of oil is not normal becuz we have a very limited amountg of blowby on our motors

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Take it to the dealer, if the rings have not set then you got other problems to worry about.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, heres the latest... called my ford tech, thus far no response. Thinking it may be a ring, i pulled all my plugs. on the last one, farthest to the right ( the one visible in the pic) had oil on the threads, NOT I, REPEAT, NOT on the tip of the plug. thoughts?

Mouse

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oil on the threads, but not the tip? Was there a flakey black/brown residue on the tip of the plug?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
other than oil on the threads, the plug was completely fine no flaky crap

Mouse

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
You won't generally see fresh liquid oil on threads if it comes from the inside of the combustion chamber- like from an unseated ring. Well, unless that spark plug is not firing which would make your motor run horrendous like having to constantly feather the gas pedal to keep it from stalling, CEL's flashing left and right, shake like hell, and probably backfire too. In that situation, you'd also have a strong gasoline smell in the oil on the dipstick, and on the spark plug.

That's not it.

The cause of the oil on the plug is a bad valve cover gasket- or at least the ring around that spark plug tube. Take it to the dealer, and explain the situation. This should be totally covered under warranty UNLESS you've ever taken the valve cover off. If you have, then you'll need to go to the dealer to get a valve cover gasket. I haven't found them at any of the usual suspects' stores, but you can try Carquest they have hard to find items.

As far as the other issue... I'd ask the dealer to do a compression test also, and show him the oil in the breather tube.

·
Registered
308 Posts
mighty_mouse said:
Ok, heres the latest... called my ford tech, thus far no response. Thinking it may be a ring, i pulled all my plugs. on the last one, farthest to the right ( the one visible in the pic) had oil on the threads, NOT I, REPEAT, NOT on the tip of the plug. thoughts?

Mouse
Failed cam box (valve cover) gasket. It's leaking oil into the sparkplug well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That sounds more like it. Increased oil vapor is from the "air" leak in the crankcase, the extra un-metered air is causing the rough running...

·
Registered
108 Posts
fredness you make no sense? what air leak in the crankcase???? it is all sealed up except where it vents back to the intaked. you said these cant be real answers but what i said is completely right. what i said is the same thing that somebody else called blowby. (and i knew the term and just couldnt think of it at the time. the increased oil vapor is from compression passing the rings and forcing extra oil rich air into the intake, enough said.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oil on the plug threads but not the tip=Leak
Where is that oil coming from? The crankcase, via the cam cover.
If oil can escape, air comes in.
If air comes in, it is not metered by the MAF so the engine will not have the proper fuel mixture and the IAC can't properly compensate for idle issues.

Next...

·
Registered
111 Posts
yea that tube is NOT PZEV

·
Registered
108 Posts
ok next is that air getting into the valve cover does not enter the combustion chamber at all or in any way possible so next.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts