Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2007 Focus SE with 32k on it and I have three questions for everyone. I don't have a heavy foot and my goal is to get the best gas mileage I can. I first would like to replace the stock air filter with another one. The K&N brand ($45 shipped) seems to be a popular choice, are there any other brands I should research as well? The manual tells me to use Motorcraft 5W20, after reading a lot of other threads on the forum many others have switched to something else. I am considering Mobil 1 5W20 along with a Mobil 1 filter, Advanced Auto Parts is having a change your oil special for $29 that includes 5 quarts of oil and an oil filter. Lastly the spark plugs, should I bother changing them out? I haven't yet checked what brand is currently installed but I'd assume it's Motorcraft as that's what Ford likes to use. Does the spark plug quality effect the MPG your car gets at all?

Is there anything I'm overlooking that would help my goal? Thanks in advance, so much knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking to purchase new spark plugs for my 2007 Ford Focus and was trying to look up the part number/plug type.
I looked through the owner's manual as well as the workshop manual and didn't find a definitive answer.
The owner's manual says "For spark plug replacement, see your authorized dealer. Refer to scheduled maintenance information for the Sarkari Result Pnr Status 192.168.1.1 appropriate intervals for changing the spark plugs."
The workshop manual lists 12405 as the part number, but I was told that it is the incorrect spark plug by a rep from a local auto store.
Does anyone know where to look this kind of information up?

·
Registered
915 Posts
"Does anyone know where to look this kind of information up?"

I usually plug my VIN in at online Ford dealer parts sites. It will tell you exactly what you need.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I researched it at some point and found it was Motorcraft SP-541-A but don't have the reference now. I have put these spark plugs in three 05-07 Focus with the 2.0 Duratec.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just bought a 2007 Focus SE with 32k on it and I have three questions for everyone. I don't have a heavy foot and my goal is to get the best gas mileage I can. I first would like to replace the stock air filter with another one. The K&N brand ($45 shipped) seems to be a popular choice, are there any other brands I should research as well? The manual tells me to use Motorcraft 5W20, after reading a lot of other threads on the forum many others have switched to something else. I am considering Mobil 1 5W20 along with a Mobil 1 filter, Advanced Auto Parts is having a change your oil special for $29 that includes 5 quarts of oil and an oil filter. Lastly the spark plugs, should I bother changing them out? I haven't yet checked what brand is currently installed but I'd assume it's Motorcraft as that's what Ford likes to use. Does the spark plug quality effect the MPG your car gets at all?

Is there anything I'm overlooking that would help my goal? Thanks in advance, so much knowledge on this forum.
The motorcraft 5w20 is a good oil but for me it only held up 4000 miles not to the 5000 mile change requirment so i switch to 5w20 mobil high milage now that i have 170000 miles on car bought one owner with 66000 miles car still do not burn oil after 6000 mile oil change with no oil added stays at mark i fill it to at every change , no oil leaks. engine as dry as when came off line at ford factory. i always do correct maintenance. automatic transmission fluid change 60000 miles, trans filter 150000 miles fuel filter 30000 miles pcv valve 100000 miles. what ever the book call for. easy to moder driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts