Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18yr old daughter begged me, pleaded with me, bugged me to let her
drive my new Hatch 5-speed.

She has never driven a stick before but told me she wanted to learn, so bad.

I knew this was a bad idea, but caved in after nearly a solid week of "let me drive it daddy".

Well, I took her to a very large parking lot, Mills Mall in Katy, because there is lots
of open space. I must be the worlds worst driving instructer because she did
not do so well. Either too much gas, or too fast letting out the clutch. We finally got the car
going forward and I managed to withstand the next few minutes as we made our way to a
Wall Mart that was next to the Mall. She pulled in and stopped, then stalled the car again.
Then she froze and refused to go any further. We were now blocking incoming traffic to Wally World.
I had to take over and park the car.

I need a drink![:(]

·
Registered
357 Posts
I tought my fiance well attempted to teach my fiance. My body still rattles. Yo uh aaree doooinnnn gooood hunnnniii

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
At least she actually wanted to learn clutch. That is a major step in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
my gf won't learn, but the one time i had her move my in the the lane way and she didn't stall it. i was amazed actually. after it though shes like im scared to break your car and wouldn't touch it.

ported tb
8.5lb aluminium flywheel
Spec stage 3 6-puck clutch

·
Registered
357 Posts
Tehehe.. Did you hear it when you left lol

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought it was going to end with then she ran it into something.
No way man, I had a tight grasp on the emergency brake the whole time.

We got going forward and she actually uttered these words:
"how do we stop".

My little baby girl is an honors student at the UT Austin School of Engineering.
She asked me "how do we stop".

Lord, what is happening to me. Is this some kind of punishment for something
I've done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Its a good thing my wife already knows how to drive manual. I tried teaching a friend on my MazdaSpeed 3, BIG mistake. That clutch is not for a novice that's for sure.

·
Registered
163 Posts
No way man, I had a tight grasp on the emergency brake the whole time.

We got going forward and she actually uttered these words:
"how do we stop".

My little baby girl is an honors student at the UT Austin School of Engineering.
She asked me "how do we stop".

Lord, what is happening to me. Is this some kind of punishment for something
I've done.
Kudos for her wanting to learn.....[driving].....everyone should have to learn a stick. Nobody knows when it might save someone's life someday.......you never know.

·
GT40 all the things!
9,482 Posts
My gf wanted to learn. I told her, "not in the Focus" cause I like my clutch, but the B2 was getting ready for a motor swap so I knew a clutch was in the future already. Made her drive this, she hasn't asked again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How much clutch damage do you think learning really does? I need to teach my wife and don't have access to anything but the new Focus. My only other option is buying a beater, and that is just so much work. She's a quick study and pretty coordinated- with a test Cruze Eco she got started on the 4th try, faster than my first time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I talked my wife into a manual WRX since they're WAY more plentiful than automatics. She HAD to learn then. Only too a few hours and she was a pro. She greatly prefers manual over auto now. <3

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think somebody needs to create a computer game to teach nuubs how to drive a stick.
Like the computer sim racing games, but with a steering wheel, gas pedal, brake pedal and a clutch pedal.

You would score points depending on how smooth you drove.

Burn rubber -200, stall out - 400, buckin&kicking -600 and so on.

Starting at a red light on a up-hill incline, +500.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Four phases to driving a stick shift

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and make a suggestion for those that wish to teach how to use a stick shift and also have access to an automatic. If you don't have an automatic to use at first just do dry runs with the car turned off and at a stand still and start with Phase II below.

Phase I: No clutch required but...

Part A: Using an automatic to start with
If you have an automatic, start with just shifting gears from 1 to 2 to 3 to D or however many shifting positions you happen to have in your vehicle equipped with an automatic transmission. Go over how to use the gears in sequence and down shifting in sequence to cause the vehicle to slow down instead of using the brake pedal too much. Also take note of what the RPM gauge is doing during this phase since there is no clutch to worry about yet.

Part B: Dry Runs
Now you do what I call dry runs. Simply go through shifting the gears as above but pretend to have a clutch to the left of the brake pedal. This gets them thinking about a clutch and how it is supposed to be used without too much frustration. This will make Phase II much easier when they use the real manual transmission.

Phase II: Using the clutch for the first time

Now the fun begins in the actual stick shift. Learn to slip the clutch into first gear and drive around in first gear only nice and slow. You can do this in a empty parking lot somewhere so you just go in a circle or a straight line, it's up to you. All they need to remember when they come close to a stop is to press on the clutch pedal. I wouldn't even have them use the brake, just coast till it starts to stall and have them hit the clutch first then the brake while holding down the clutch at the same time.

If they let go of the clutch abruptly while at a stand still, it may stall and that's OK just try again and concentrate on more of engaging the clutch than the brake. After staying in this rather boring phase for a while then just let them work the brake sooner as they will naturally want to do anyway and once they get it, go on to phase III or let them do the exercise a little faster than normal and practice stopping quicker using more brake. Clutch first and hold, then use the brake to come to a full stop.

Phase III: Master the transition

Same as PII except now they can try and transition from first to second then still going relatively slowly, transition back to a coast using the gears to do most of the braking. Just tell them when to push in the clutch and down shift. If they have trouble with this or get confused, go through a dry run of switching gears while the car is turned off and at a stand still first. They should have a clear idea in mind to go from point A to point B transitioning to second gear and then down shifting to 1st again where they use their PII stopping skills.

Phase IV: Adding third gear to the mix

This should be a natural progression and I'll bet you won't have to tell them anything other than shift into third and you may not have to say anything at all. The hard part was in PII and PIII. Going to fourth should be a piece of cake at the point too.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This ended a lot better than I was expecting by the title. My first car I learned to drive stick on was my 09' Mustang I didnt know how to drive stick until I bought it lol.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts