Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okey doke.... I think that's what I'll be doing then. not a contour SVT engine, just the good old 02 cougar 2.5 V6 [:)] luckily it's been done (to my knowledge, only 3 or so), so the parts have been listed for it, and I've got some great little additions I'd be making to it now, such as:

a nice little turbo kit from Nautilus (maybe) but with the intercooler and higher PSI (and the cat of course)http://www.nautilusperformance.com/catalog/i25.html

the cougar gauge swap

Dual exhaust tips like these (which would look Uber sexy with SAP rear bumper [:D]): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvq...ugar+exhaust&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=

and also the black center caps for the EAPs, with the Cougar logo on them

the rest of the body and interior will hopefully remain as planned, being the Euro SVT stuff that I'll get, and the 05+ rear end conversion.

I'm set on this now, as I can get an engine and transmission from a cougar for about $1700 together, and who knows, maybe I'll find a wrecked one that I can buy that has everything I need (regardless I'll have to find one though)

during the swap I'll also probably be driving a cougar [hihi])

HOWEVER, I have a few problems/questions of course:

wiring...... WTF do I do now? is it still ECU, dash components, and engine wiring harness?

Since this is coming from likely a manual windowed, two door vehicle......how the hell do I get the power door locks and windows to work? I'm completely in the dark when it comes to that part...... is it all just wiring, or ECU/PATS integrated [?|]

thanks for any help, you guys...... I feel like this is the one I'll probably do. we definitely have more wrecked Cougars here than SVTf's [hihi]

·
Registered
82 Posts
All New Edge Cougars (99-02) have power windows & locks. You will need the ecu, gauge cluster, engine wiring harness, pats system. Its the same chassis as the contours, so almost everything crosses over.
Don't know about too much else.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All New Edge Cougars (99-02) have power windows & locks. You will need the ecu, gauge cluster, engine wiring harness, pats system. Its the same chassis as the contours, so almost everything crosses over.
Don't know about too much else.
oh great.......wasn't sure about the windows and doors, that helped a lot. thanks [:)] the other stuff I'm aware of though [:)]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bump for........opinions? maybe something someone knows about this with a problem I might run into? [dunno]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Sooooooooooo EURO
14,708 Posts
I'm extremely interested to see how this turns out! but what i'm wondering is
what were your specific reasons for choosing this motor? i'm just curious since you could've used the taurus 3.0 motor which is about the same thing as the focus 2.0vs2.3
basically the taurus motor is identical but you gain half a liter and a bunch of HP as well
Best of luck!
Brad

·
Dumbledore dies?!?!
3,123 Posts
Wow, that will def help. Just a few things to remember. When frustrated, don't take it out on the car, time is your friend, and WE WANT PICTURES! Good luck man, I'm subscribing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
d00d i wanna see this!!!!!!!!!! Best of luck with it!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
i dont know that it is worth it for a regular 2.5 but hey all the best.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that will def help. Just a few things to remember. When frustrated, don't take it out on the car, time is your friend, and WE WANT PICTURES! Good luck man, I'm subscribing.
might be a while.....but it'll pop up in about two years (maybe less, if I can at least buy a cougar engine or something [hihi] gotta get into college first)

sorry to excite everyone so quickly, but yeah whoops, I guess right now it's just gonna be research to know exactly what I need to do.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Do a duratec 2.5 I-4 from the escape, You'll be the 1st I think, and it'll be much easier, and have the same hp with FocusSports turbo kit just waiting to be bolted on. If I ever blow up my SVT engine, I'm going 2.5 I think

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm extremely interested to see how this turns out! but what i'm wondering is
what were your specific reasons for choosing this motor? i'm just curious since you could've used the taurus 3.0 motor which is about the same thing as the focus 2.0vs2.3
basically the taurus motor is identical but you gain half a liter and a bunch of HP as well
Best of luck!
Brad
yeah..... well I was joking when my grandma got her Taurus that "I'll trade engines with you [hihi]."

my reason for picking this specific engine is well, it's a funny kinda thing but it's from the Cougar, which I was almost gonna buy because I've always loved that car...... so it's just that kinda mindset, if you will [hihi].

also cause of that, I've got that awesome idea with the center caps for the wheels, and also a dual exit exhaust [thumb] (I'm sure you can do it with the 3.0....but meh.)

I did think about the Taurus engine though, y'know? like "I could always want more power" but in all honesty, if I get the 2.5L and that turbo kit (or custom turbo) with some forged internals, then I'll be well close to the 300hp range, and for a DD that's enough HP for me. ooh plus I can use the gauge cluster (like I couldn't anyway though...but outside temp. FTW)

also to the last poster, I can get an engine in and MTX-75 (wow cougars DO have those. LOL.) tranny in good condition, shipped free, for about $1700 for free......

edit: oh wow..... anyone wanna buy me this and hold it for two years until I'm out of the reign of my parents and into college with a scholarship? it's only 1,200 and it runs [:D]

http://www.automotix.net/autosalvage/for_sale/1999-mercury-cougar-post-3178.html

SO now I'm thinking, maybe I'll find a salvaged car for for around 1-2K in which I can take out all the other stuff I need [thumb]

·
Registered
82 Posts
Actually the stock internals on a 2.5l V-6 are good for almost 400hp. If you get one thats older than 01, look at re-ringing the pistons as the older V-6 has weaker ring lands.

Also the 3.0l Dura is the same block as the 2.5l. Internals are changed up, but everything between the 2 motors swaps. Also you might wanna check out 3lduratec.com....think thats it.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ ok thanks I will.......

yeah I noticed those numbers were really high and I'm like "whoa" because you don't normally get that with teh fofo.

need to keep that in mind then, the rings, but I'm thinking of maybe getting some forged rods and new pistons.... but I don't really know where to look. it's not as easy to find that kinda stuff like it is for the focus.

btw, are you on neco?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, I'm a neco member.
Honestly don't bother upgrading the internals, unless you go past 375hp. Like I said the Duratec v-6 can take some abuse in either 2.5 or 3L. I've seen pistons around, connecting rods though I've never seen. Talk to FastCougar on neco as he's parting his out. I know he wants like $3500 for the MTX out of it, not sure on the motor.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I'm not surprised, lol. I just figured upgrade since it would be all (or mostly) apart anyway, but then again it's cheaper if I don't (300hp is well enough for me). $3500 for the tranny seems like a ton to me, but it's probably pretty good. cause i can get one off somewhere for a little under $1000......

isn't that kinda depressing that my sedan is 300lbs lighter than the V6 coug? doesn't matter though, I still love both of em [hihi]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH I know what I wanted to ask....... is there some sort of PATS thing in those as well? I could see that becoming an issue.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes the cougar has PATS as well. The MTX is a "Race" prepped HMS transmission. Has dual 3rd gear synchros, slick shift, Quaife dif, 3.82 final drive gear, keyed tower mod, & some other things. Its worth it, was built by the guy who engineered the Contour/Cougar chassis & powertrain.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^ ah ok, so that's what the HMS tranny was that guy is selling, that I saw a little about. (so that's definitely not stock transmission parts, right? [hihi])

and....out of curiosity, is the CSVT tranny a six speed? or no.

thankya sir [:p]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts