Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought 4 very slightly used steel rims and winter tires for a song and dance. My stock rims and summer tires are 195/60/15s, and the winter tires are 185/70/14, so the circumference is almost identical. They were originally on a tempo, and the bolt pattern is the same. However the offset for the tempo is listed as 63.9 mm, and the Focus is 52.5 mm I believe. Will this be an issue?

I tried one on, and it left about a 1 cm gap between the rim and the brake caliper. I took a short highway ride and all seemed fine (tires are nice and quiet). Tried some sharp turns to see if there was any rubbing, no noise. Other than the proximity to the brake caliper, it seems to fit similar to my other tires, perhaps sitting slightly closer to the car.

Thanks for any input.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
you should be fine...if theyre winter tires obviously you arent flying around in the snow like a damn lunatic. they clear brakes...they should be fine.

Reactions: Cheffy

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
yea no problem...hope you get a good deal dude.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did - 4 tires and steel rims nearly brand new for $300 CDN. I priced out if I bought new it would come to about $550. Cheap tires, Nexen winguard 231, but they seem to have several positive responses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure your not gonna rub on the inside of the wheel well?
To be honest, no, I'm not 100%. But when I took it for a ride with one snow tire on the front it seemed fine, no rubbing sound. I need to put one on the back to verify, and I'll try again on the front to be certain. I can't probably return them, so I hope it is fine, I'd hate to have to try and sell them.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Moving that tire/wheel inward 11.4 mm (close to a half and inch) may cause potential rubbing issues on the suspension if a tire with a overly round (bulging) sidewall is used. Those kind of sidewalls are found on taller profile tires such as those mentioned. To be safe look for a tire with a flatter sidewall and test fit, if at all possible, and look at the clearance of the tire sidewall in relationship to the shock/strut.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, I checked the strut clearance, lots of room. Plenty of clearance against the inner fender as well turned either way. Fit just fine in the rear too. The only possibility I could think of is that under stress (e.g. tight turns at speed) the sidewall could push out and potentially make contact, but that's hardly a concern.

So overall looks good - thanks for the replies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts