Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
N/A to ST exterior conversions are happening!

As more Mk3s are popping up with the ST nose (and more), I thought it might be fun to start an official registry to list them all and share photos of the cars for anyone else who may be looking to do the swap. I continue receiving questions on the process so there are definitely still tips and info to be shared among the community. Perhaps this could become a useful source of information and feedback on the experience, as compiled from multiple owners.

The 'rules' to this are rather simple; if you have a Mk3 which has been treated to an ST front-end swap (or more visual parts) post up some photos and information on the process! How many ST parts did you install? What did you think of it? Why'd you do it? Any comments or complaints?

1. Twenty ('12 SE sedan) - Front end and side skirts
2. Rebel Devil Customs ('12 SE sedan) - Front end (temporary swap)
3. Mazdamike0831 ('13 SE hatch) - Front end, side skirts, rear valance, wing, ST3 lights

Below is a template you may fill out for posting so that this can be an organized thread. [:)]

Focus year/trim:
Parts installed:
Where did you get the parts?:
Why did you do it?:
Any tips/comments?:

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Focus year/trim: 2012 SE sedan
Parts installed: Front end and side skirts
Where did you get the parts?: Dealership
Why did you do it?: Because Ford didn't offer an ST sedan and I wanted one. [:)]
Any tips/comments?: The conversion isn't the cheapest modification in the world but some used parts can be tracked down if you spend some time hunting online. There are also aftermarket ST-style body pieces but be aware that money saved on aftermarket parts may be spent anyway at the body shop getting them to fit properly.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I swapped ALL the SE parts for the ST parts. I did it the EASY way.. I traded in my 2012 SE for a 2014 ST. LOL
Why I post is to ask about the front bumper. Does it fit well? I mean the front bumper shell goes right on without any worries to the regular MK3? Or, were there some adjustments needed?
Just curious.
Also the stock shutters? do they work with the ST front bumper shell?
(I ask as the missing intercooler might make a swap harder...?)

PS I think your car is BEAUTIFUL.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Focus year/trim: 2014 SE Hatchback
Parts installed: Spoiler (still shipping, not installed yet)
Where did you get the parts?: eBay
Why did you do it?: I seen an ST last weekend at the movie theater parking lot and said, I want that spoiler lol. Should have it in hand and then installed in the next few weeks. I like the entire rear of the ST and will probably change the exhaust out eventually to match the ST as well.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped ALL the SE parts for the ST parts. I did it the EASY way.. I traded in my 2012 SE for a 2014 ST. LOL
Why I post is to ask about the front bumper. Does it fit well? I mean the front bumper shell goes right on without any worries to the regular MK3? Or, were there some adjustments needed?
Just curious.
Also the stock shutters? do they work with the ST front bumper shell?
(I ask as the missing intercooler might make a swap harder...?)

PS I think your car is BEAUTIFUL.
The bumper went right on, with no adjustments needed apart from making sure the body lines were aligned before the bolts were tightened.

The shutters work. The radiator shroud and undertray are different between N/As and STs but they're optional.

·
Registered
758 Posts
2013 se sports/ winter package w/ 18,600 miles currently on her..
St front clip, side skirts, spoiler, rear valance and exhaust, st3 projector headlights w/ hids....
Bought all parts from my ford dealer except the side skirts and only had a problem with the side skirts...total cost me between 3 and 4k..
I did it because it was cheaper than getting another car. Lol We just purchased the car in march, st conversion started just 6 months later... think I might be the only full st conversion out there!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Before,.....

After,.....

Focus year/trim: 2013 SE
Parts installed: Front End
Where did you get the parts?: All OEM parts. 90% local Dealership - 10% Ebay
Why did you do it?: Front bumper was damaged when I bought it and needed replacing.
Any tips/comments?: Expensive,......BUT,...... OEM parts made the install pretty much hassle free & straight forward. If I had to do it again, I would "consider" the complete aftermarket Ebay ST conversion kit for 499

·
Registered
156 Posts
Before,.....

After,.....

Focus year/trim: 2013 SE
Parts installed: Front End
Where did you get the parts?: All OEM parts. 90% local Dealership - 10% Ebay
Why did you do it?: Front bumper was damaged when I bought it and needed replacing.
Any tips/comments?: Expensive,......BUT,...... OEM parts made the install pretty much hassle free & straight forward. If I had to do it again, I would "consider" the complete aftermarket Ebay ST conversion kit for 499
That hood gap doesn't look substantial enough ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
That hood gap doesn't look substantial enough ;)
LOL

Don't get me started on the piss-poor panel fitment on these cars. [facepalm]

My paint guy stopped by my house while I was test fitting the hood before we painted it and I was bitching about the gaps. He said,...... a lot of cars are like that,.....and pointed at my wife's 2013 VW Passat TDI sitting next to it in the driveway,...... AND,....after looking at it,......he said,.....Oh,...never mind, as that car has perfect 3/16" gaps on every panel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
LOL

Don't get me started on the piss-poor panel fitment on these cars. [facepalm]

My paint guy stopped by my house while I was test fitting the hood before we painted it and I was bitching about the gaps. He said,...... a lot of cars are like that,.....and pointed at my wife's 2013 VW Passat TDI sitting next to it in the driveway,...... AND,....after looking at it,......he said,.....Oh,...never mind, as that car has perfect 3/16" gaps on every panel.
Ha very true. I have heard before it was intentionally gapped to aid in cooling, however, I didn't hear it from Ford so who knows if there was any truth to that. Some guys with STs that have repaired their gap have complained of engine temps by touch, but that also could be because they were more sensitive to it than before. Who knows!!

Having said that ... its kind of an endearing feature of my car :)

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I got excited for a moment when I thought I was about to see some engine swaps which I'm surprised hasn't been done yet. Cool cars nonetheless.

How about somebody pretending their ST is the slower SE model would be cool to see since that would be some sleeper on the street.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Focus year/trim: 2014 SE
Parts installed: Front end and side skirts
Where did you get the parts?: Ebay / Amazon / Craigslist
Why did you do it?: The car was in a front end collision.
Any tips/comments?:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Frakus, can you post your mod list? I really like the look/stance of your car.

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
I wish there was a registry of owners that had swapped in the st engine!! [thumb]

Reactions: Arco-Zakus

·
Torretto!
3,878 Posts
Thats my point. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Frakus, can you post your mod list? I really like the look/stance of your car.
Outside-
-ST front end and side skirts
-ST style black headlights from Ebay
-Painted rear valence
-DIY Home Depot front lip (used wide plastic washers and small screws to attach for easy replacement vs adhesive tape. Took a longgg time to get it on there)
-Factory Thule roof rack (Have a Thule basket and bike trays to go on)
-Curt 1.25" hitch (option of hitch mounted bike rack, will use to pull single motorcyle)
-Rally Armor PU mud flaps with grey logo
-Kosei Sport Edition D3 17" wheels. Originally made for Volvos. I painted them. Offset is in the 30's. No wheel spacers, and they fit perfectly flush for the MK3 Focus.

Since you're going to ask- stock suspension. I think. I bought the car with 6,000 miles entirely stock otherwise, but it has the perfect stance IMO for daily driving. I'm happy with the way it looks. The tires are stock size for 17", but I think they're slightly big, closing wheel gap. My brother has a 2013 SE Hatch and my car is definitely lower than his. The suspension change for 2014+ is probably to blame there.

Engine-
-FSWERKS intake, metal box with ITG aluminum/ foam filter and Outerwears cover

-FSWERKS rear motor mount (that engine really flopped around in normal driving)

Reactions: Whitanium2013

·
Registered
758 Posts
Definitely like the roof rack.. what kind of motorcycle you pulling with the focus? Does it tow ok? I tow with my wife's 14 escape for track days. Their was a girl there also towing with a focus. Now I'm interested... here's my track bike

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Focus year/trim: 2012 SE Hatchback
Parts installed: OEM ST front bumper, side skirts, RS style wing from RDC, ST3 headlights, and black interior trim.
Where did you get the parts?: local dealership
Why did you do it?:I got in to an accident and did not have to pay for any of the parts (except skirts) or paint. I love my color... but the ST doesn't come in Candy Blue Metallic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts