Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else like to drive off-road?

This is my 2001 Nissan Xterra. Its only seven years old but I have 255,000 miles on it and the only thing the engine ever needed was a timing belt.

I hope you enjoy the pics:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
i love off roading

·
Registered
16 Posts
nice pics, the nissan will run forever it seems like. my dad had a a 89 pathfinder that he traded in with 300,000 miles on it. it was still runing fine he just wanted a V8 to tow with. i also learned how to drive in that turck off road.

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I miss offroading... Looks Like lots of trucks out there

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
that looks fun as hell!

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
I think when i finally get a normal job where i dont get laid off im going to buy a jeep an do this on my off time.

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
I think when i finally get a normal job where i dont get laid off im going to buy a jeep an do this on my off time.
i bought a cherokee to do just that. and i absolutely LOVE it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What model Jeep would you buy?
For any real off-roading I would recommend the Wrangler.

The newer Liberty and other Jeep vehicle lines arent really made for that much off-road.

I had a 99 Jeep Wrangler TJ and it was a great vehicle. Although the soft top made a lot of highway noise.

But I prefer Nissan and Toyota trucks for hardcore off-road.
There's a reason why the CIA and DOD sent Special Forces into the Afghanistan after 9-11 and chose Toyota Tacoma's and Nissan Frontier 4x4's

Although I still wouldn't have a problem owning another Jeep Wrangler. I thin the Jeep Wrangler is the last of a dying breed when it comes to American made off-rad vehicles that can really be taken off-road.

The Ford Explorers and Chevy SUV's are just glorified grocery getters that have far too low ground clearance for real off-road.

Plus, the newer line of Jeep Wranglers have really great ground clearance and even better off-road suspension than the previuos Jeep models.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
...and the hummer's just way to damn expensive to take off road [:p] lol. hey I've been offroading with my foci [:D] didn't work out too well, got a nice scar on the front bumper I've since patched up. lol. nice pics though, looks like you had a ton of fun.... I've wanted to really do this too, but seeing I don't have the correct vehicle, or really the environment (all our "mountain" areas are protected from gas driven vehicles, and the only other off roading place is Moab....and my car already has enough dried on red mud from when it used to belong to someone in St. George [hihi])

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...and the hummer's just way to damn expensive to take off road [:p] lol. hey I've been offroading with my foci [:D] didn't work out too well, got a nice scar on the front bumper I've since patched up. lol. nice pics though, looks like you had a ton of fun.... I've wanted to really do this too, but seeing I don't have the correct vehicle, or really the environment (all our "mountain" areas are protected from gas driven vehicles, and the only other off roading place is Moab....and my car already has enough dried on red mud from when it used to belong to someone in St. George [hihi])

Which Hummer do you mean? The original is great off-road! The H2 and H3 are really good, but in ,mu opinion the windows are really small and dont offer that great of visibility for off road in the mountains and forest areas.

The Hummer series has great ground clearance and an excellent transfer case and differential gear ratio, I totally forgot about that vehicle so I appreciate the reminder.

But I have driven the H2 out in the desert and grasslands in Colorado and it did well.

I have also taken the Focus off-road and your right,. it actually does well for a little car.
Glad to meet another member that likes to get mud on the side of their focus! [thumb]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ricochet

I just picked up an 04 SE so I don't have to drive my 97 HB 4X4 so much so I can save some money on gas. Not to mention I have to find out why I'm getting a check engine light. Anywho, it looks like you're still sitting stock height. Are you planning on lifting your X? I just put my 3 inch sus lift on my truck and love the clearance I have now with my muds. If you want to do some mods I know a few web-sites, you probably know them too.

KC135guy

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I was also off-road in my Foci :D two years ago on 4th July in Wisconsin on my friend ranch :D. I'm really big fan of rally's and wanted to check my skills. Result - both sides scratched.... A lot :D... But driving sideways in forest on sand roads was FUN AS HELL!! Not big fan of any kinds of Jeeps though ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ricochet

Not to mention I have to find out why I'm getting a check engine light.
Are you getting the check engine light on your Xterra or the HB?
I also have had my check engine light on in my Xterra for about a year now but its because my Auxiliary Fan Relay blew. I haven't had any overheating, so I just never bothered to replace the relay. But I will do so before this next summer just to be safe.

Also, you can go to any Autozone or Advance Auto Parts store and they will read your computer for free. They have a little diagnostic computer that hooks up near the fuse panel under the dash board.
That way you can find out why the engine light is on and maybe you can just fix it yourself depending on your mechanical skill.

Anywho, it looks like you're still sitting stock height. Are you planning on lifting your X?
Im about an inch and a half above stock height.
I did a torsion bar adjustment in the front and back and I then put on 32" mud tires.

I do a lot of off-roading, but not a whole lot of rock climbing, so the 12.3" of ground clearance I have now works great for my needs.

Here is a picture of the Cooper STT Mud Tires I have on it.
These work MUCH better than any BF Goodrich tire that I ever had.
These Cooper Mud tires have siping in the treads which gives me better snow and wet rock/pavement traction that regular Mud Tires.

If you have any pics of your Nissan's on the web, I would love to see them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just have the HB not an X. I'd like to get an X so I can do the family camping thing and get further into the sticks.

I've been feeling surging at about 3100 rpms so I think my fuel pump is starting to go and I'm pretty sure that's why my engine light is on. I have noticed with the engine light on, that my crappy gas mileage is just getting worse. I've done some talking to other Nizzy guys and have found out that when the engine light is on the computer goes back to "basic" programming and causes more fuel to be burned. Not sure if you've noticed any difference in your mileage since your light has been on.

I'm running 31" BFG AT's during day to day driving but have 31 BFG MT's for my offroading. Like them alot. Between work and school I don't get to offroad as much as I'd like.

If I can find some pics, I'll post them up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just have the HB not an X. I'd like to get an X so I can do the family camping thing and get further into the sticks.

I've been feeling surging at about 3100 rpms so I think my fuel pump is starting to go and I'm pretty sure that's why my engine light is on. I have noticed with the engine light on, that my crappy gas mileage is just getting worse. I've done some talking to other Nizzy guys and have found out that when the engine light is on the computer goes back to "basic" programming and causes more fuel to be burned. Not sure if you've noticed any difference in your mileage since your light has been on.

I'm running 31" BFG AT's during day to day driving but have 31 BFG MT's for my offroading. Like them alot. Between work and school I don't get to offroad as much as I'd like.

If I can find some pics, I'll post them up.
I haven't noticed any change in my gas mileage, but I thin its because mine isnt a fuel problem.

Yeah, you may be right about the fuel pump being out of whack.

Have you changed your fuel filter recently?
I know that when I lived out west I needed to change mine more often than out here in the East coast.
I guess because of the dryer and more dusty climate in the west.

The fuel filters are really easy to change on the Nissan and only cost around $15.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts