Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont understand why all headers and alot of the intakes and other mods say for "off-raod use ony"? And if I got a header the was for "off-road" use only or "race only" how would that effect me and my car here in texas? And since I have a 06' zx4 st is it 16v or 8v?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
16V

"off-road use only" applies to pretty much anything that may make your car illegal to drive on the streets for various reasons. For instance, an ORP (off-road pipe) would delete your CAT, which would violate laws. Another example would be tail-light blackout covers.

It's essentially the manufacturer's disclaimer so that they can sell products that would be illegal to put on your car for "street use", but would be fine for show, or for racing.

As for how it would affect your car in Texas, it depends on what is legal there and whether they do emissions testing or inspections.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Off-road use means they are not street or emissions legal. Ask around and see how tough they are on exhaust mods in Texas. Here they don't really care much.

Your ST is a Duratec 2.3L DOHC 16V.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
right what they said above its so u know that u arent supposted to be using for street use because its most likely illigal to have because it is agaist emissions laws and it also serves to protect the seller so u cant by it get a ticket then tell the judge that the company said its ok to use because it says off road use only there are differnt laws for off road things.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so is there a header that is not for off road only?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
We're talking Duratec here. We are cursed with a cat built right into the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It really depends on state law. A lot of states say you cannot modify the stock emissions hardware in any way. If your state just requires a sniffer test, just have a muffler shop weld in a when you get your header installed...or if you pick up new exhaust, get a cat-back like the Borla that will leave the 2nd cat.

Here the law is a visual inspection for a cat and a sniffer test, that's it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anyone know about twxas? I have no idea what the emission laws are here.

·
my car breaks!
2,103 Posts
lol... put it this way if you don't plan on selling your car, don't worry.. when was the last time a cop pulled you under and checked to see if your header was street legal!

unless you have to do emissions tests, then you need to worry.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
well i know when i had my dodge stealth they did an emissions test on it. but it probably depends on where you go to get your inspections, and who you know. theres a guy that goes to my work and we give him deals and stuff so if i gave him like 15 bucks he'd look over a header if i had one and give me inspection...i'm sure you could find someone like that.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
nomoreavril said:
well i know when i had my dodge stealth they did an emissions test on it. but it probably depends on where you go to get your inspections, and who you know. theres a guy that goes to my work and we give him deals and stuff so if i gave him like 15 bucks he'd look over a header if i had one and give me inspection...i'm sure you could find someone like that.
^^^^^

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I have never had emissions tested in texas. My state inspections consist of an 80yr old man sitting in my car, driving foward 5 ft, reverse 5ft, turning on the wipers, blinkers, then checking the head lights. then slapping on a sticker.

·
Registered
545 Posts
They DO emissions testing in Texas!

That being said, if you have an OBDII car (such as the Duratec Foci and any other newer car) it is done by hooking a computer up to your car rather than giving it a rectal exam like they did to my '85 K5 Blazer and my '84 Crown Vic. If your check engine light isn't on, and the computer says everything is ok (both your ECU and the tester's computer), then they look no closer and you pass. There are ways (illegal) of tricking your cars computer so that it tells the tester that every thing is great. My pal's STI has no cats, but it can pass the test because of such trickery. He takes it to a friend who passes him regardless, but it would probably pass anywhere (if he tuned it down a tad (it is really obvious that somthing is amiss even if the test computer says otherwise)).

BTW, some police officers get their kicks on having you pop the hood for road side inspections. It happens quite often around here (Dallas). I also have driven through a moble emission test setup. The police WILL take your car, and if it survives the towing/impounding process without a scratch, go buy a lottery ticket because you you are a lucky sob (and you are going to need to $ for the tickets and impound fees). I DON'T see you having any trouble over a race only header, or even a turbo kit. If you are adult about things, you would likely get a "Fix It" ticket. I sat beside a guy in traffic court who was there for driving his Mustang catless.

One shouldn't find his or herself getting into trouble if he or she doesn't act too foolish (peeling out in public places, street racing, driving 100+mph, hanging out in areas known for racing), and if he or she is respectfull to any police officer who might pull him or her over.

Any way, get the header and a check engine light fix, and enjoy responsibly (and look out for Smokey [:D] )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts