Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.newedgeperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=80&HS=1 I was curious to see if any of you have bought and installed this product on the SVT. And if so what did you think about the performance benefits and the downsides. I live in michigan so I dont have to worry about the emissions laws getting me if I take out the cat. And I was also wondering if this product will void my warrenty. Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't do it!!! It is horribly irresponsible and ignorant...when you take off your CAT you pollute the equivalent of about 20-25 vehicles. Besides the fact that it is unnecessary.

Downsides....just the other day, someone posted that a police officer spotted their ORP and after legal fees etc....it ended up costing them over $8000. And YES, this applies EVERYWHERE in America....under the federal clean air act...$2500 fine for tampering.

Under the same act, the dealer can legally void your warranty under the claim that you did not maintain your vehicle...plus you mess with a lot of complex tuning in the vehicle...Air/fuel ratios etc...so yes, your warranty can be denied.

The main point, is that there is absolutely no reason to be so shortsighted and ignorant. The minor gains you get from this mod don't justify the amount of pollution you spill...they put these things there for a reason. Be responsible!

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
I bought one from New Edge, Tony D is the man! On to the ORP itself. Awesome product, well constructed, easy to install / remove. Gains are beyond expectation-acceleration is much improved throughout the entire RPM range. The downside that I had is all a matter of opinion: Exhaust fumes / smell, I roll with the windows down and found the smell to be a little too much. I also have a young child that rides in the car from time to time and didn't want them exposed to raw, SVTF rich fumes. I've been told by others that the smell may go away with further usage. The sound, ORP + stock exhaust is loder than bombs. I've heard from many that the ORP + Borla is a nice sound. In any event I'll keep my ORP for track days, dyno time, or the event that the car gets turned into a racer only. Awesome part and worth much more than the asking price [thumb]

* The ORP adds more than minor gains IMO. Perhaps if you had tried it you may understand. Also, that story is very likely B.S. about the $8,000 fine. That user has one post to his credit and it was that story, wouldn't surprise me at all if one of you have created another user account just to spill such nonsense. Show me another example of anyone that has been slammed to that extent running an ORP or race header.

·
Registered
367 Posts
SVTMonkey, HENCE THE NAME OFF-ROAD PIPE. I don't understand why people would put this on a daily driver.

From the vendors site...
"Bolts in place of your cat to free up horsepower. Made for racing use only! "

RACING USE ONLY PEOPLE> It is illegal, doesn't matter what state your in, I'm no tree hugger by far. But I do care about what my son will be breathing when he grows up.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
You guys should complain to the Feds then. Did you know that all military vehicles are un-regulated and exempt from federal emissions standards?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks LastRites, I am still considering this product, but I dont want to buy it and hook it up and be dismayed by the sound or the smell. And I think its going to be a little too much out of my price range to hook that up with a Borla Cat back system. Any replacement CATS that would be of interest?

EDIT: If I was going to buy this product it would be in the next couple weeks, can you keep me posted on if the smell goes away?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm so...daily driving a no with this product? Because I was looking for something I could leave on the car, and yes a lot of products say for off road use or for race use only but I know tons of people use them on their daily.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
Alot of "off road use only" products will even pass emissions but I'm confident the ORP isn't in that category. There are people running this part on daily driven vehicles but I'm not one. The install / removal is faster than an oil change once you get the hang of it but if you are looking for a mod to throw on and forget I'd advise against this one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I commend you for the effort to keep it off during daily driving LastRites.
Yes alot of people do use off-road pipes and race only equipment, but they are doing it illegaly. Yes HUMVEE's, duece and a halfs and alot of other military vehicles are not within normal emissions standards. Specifically designed with OFFROAD uses in mind. Granted we do run convoys on highways and such, but the main use of these vehicles are for use off-road. Don't try and bring the miltary's use of their offroad monsters into a discussion of a daily driver polluting our air. And by the way, THEY ARE REGULATED but are not as strict. No federal organiztion is above the law. This is not a disputable fact, do your research before you bring this type of a topic up. If you'd like higher taxes you should probably lobby for stricter regs on military gross polluters with your congressman.

·
Registered
367 Posts
SVTMonkey Your views expressed in your sig are not shared by me. I only mention this because politics is one of those topics you don't bring up with strangers. Just letting you know you may easily offend some people and may close the path in which you may seek help one day.

·
Registered
278 Posts
its ok that these dump trucks and huge 18 wheelers around here dump huge ammounts of pollution in the air though.......HA!... what a fuggin joke...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Would you rather we put stricter regs on them. Let me tell you what that results in... HMMM for starters we'd have to redesign every gross polluting vehicle, what would you imagine that would cost? Then we'd have to find some way that we could still make it affordable for someone to ship your merchandise, such as that T.V. that's sitting in your living room, or the clothes that your wearing, and how about the food your eating. How do you think these products arrive at the store. They don't magically appear. The majority if not ALL of the merchandise arrives via a gross polluting vehicle. So I propose that you quit your job, go to an amish land and you can grow your own cotton, toss it through the loom and sew your own clothes, Grow your own food and drive your horse.

Point is that we have to make EXCEPTIONS for certain things and some guy that wants 10 more horses isn't one of them. Matter of fact there is an exception for these people that want to run the pipe. USE IT ON THE TRACK!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
There is no cheap horse power. But the CAI and short Rams come highly recommended. UDP's as well, Tuned chip. The only ones I can come up with.

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
And by the way, THEY ARE REGULATED but are not as strict. No federal organiztion is above the law. This is not a disputable fact, do your research before you bring this type of a topic up
All I have to go on is a nice, fat, "Exempt from Federal Emissions Standards" label that was on a new block dropped in a HWWMV. You say they are regulated and I say that the EPA website is to vast and utterly boring to dig through. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

Now as to modding and warranties, pretty much most popular mods can be found by your dealer to have caused a problem in systems that mod affects. There is the Magnusson-Moss warranty act that can offer protection for you but I'd rather not be the one fighting a dealer trying to prove that my mod didn't do the damage, or trying to force the dealer into proving that it did.

I'm running completely stock now mostly because it's tough to mod two things at once, I purchased a truck and the SVTF at the same time so I have to balance out what I'm doing with them. For the SVTF I'm interested in the folowing in no particular order.

Pipercross CAI, Screamin' Demon coil & Livewire plug wires, Steeda STS, F/C Throttle body, Diablo Predator flash from Turbo Tom, and lastly Turbo Tom's SVTF Turbo kit.

I'm more interested now in improving connection to the car over raw power.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Humvee's and other vehicles of this nature are not regulated to the extent that they are required to be smogged. Hence my description of their specific design for OFF-ROAD use. When they are designed the main consideration is putting raw HP and torque to the ground to keep my brothers and sisters out of harms way and to maintain the ability to conquer any obstacle. BUT this is not the only vehicle that is run by military. The VAST majority of vehicles ran by the military on their bases are either of a NORMAL FORD or Chevrolet make and model.

I'm stepping off of my soap box now. LastRites brought up another easily installed upgrade, the Screamin Deom Coil and Wires is a good one too. You have to buy the Coil Pack in order to see any gains from this one. So don't skimp on that part.

·
Registered
278 Posts
i guess over in areas of the world where there is no emmissions doesnt effect our breathing air over here either.....[rolleyes]

·
BAD EGG
7,418 Posts
You know it seems like it would be an idea to work together and lobby one of the aftermarket companies to get us a high flow cat. If the thing can give half of what the ORP does then it would be a perfect solution. I'd buy it anyway. High flows are legal right? And just a little info that I have come into locally, there is not a known case of being busted running ORP / test pipes. We live in a very anti tuner town and some guys have been running twin turbo Supra's with test pipes and still not being hassled. On my test run I ran past a cop very high into the RPM's and didn't get pulled but he was looking. It's funny because the first time my wife heard it she stated that it didn't seem very loud, she took that remark back when I hit 6,000 RPM's [:D]

1 - 20 of 66 Posts