Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

The cd changer/radio in my 2002 zx5 broke so now im looking for a pre-owned oem headunit. Question: Will the svt radio (9006) work on my zx5? Or will any pre-preowned units work for my car because i heard the radios are exclusive for each car like they will only work for the car they were originally put in? (Like do i need some sort of code to make it work for my car?)

Thanks for Looking,
Ian

·
Registered
936 Posts
If memory serves, the 9006 will mount up with no problems. And there are no codes. But if you're wanting to keep the factory look on your car, shop around on eBay for the Blaupunkt that came in some Focii. Its only single CD, but it has MP3 support. For it tho, you will need to buy/make a wire adapter. I believe the howto section on the site has the wiring diagram, and its pretty straight forward. Now, if you decide to go aftermarket (my suggestion) ... I'm very partial to my Pioneer 5000UB. Has a nice blue 2 line display. Plays most media formats from CD, and has a USB port to plug in a MP3 player or just a memory stick (The method I use) ... it has add on modules for Sat Radio and bluetooth hands free.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Don't waist your time with the Blaupunkt. They all sound good until they break.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so right now im thinking of maintaining the stock look. some people say i should go with the blaupunkt, some say no. whats the best unit out of all the stock ones? (9006, 6006, blaupaunkt or the single cd)

·
Banned
263 Posts
i have had 4 1st gen foci and 1 2g and in my personal experiance the cd changer in thew 05 is MUCH better. the blaukpunkts have alot of lag with mp3 cds even between songs. got rid of it real quick. the 9006 would be the second best. i would be willing to trade you my stock 05 changer if you buy and ship me a pioneer headunit used is ok :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the Blaupunkt. I always thought is was pretty decent for a factory head-unit. It produced good sound and was easy to use. It did lag a lot in a CD especially when the CD was MP3. I loved how easy it was to use and the screen was very easy to see. Often times it would skip with a very slight bump. My car is an 03 with 56K on it. The cd player often would not eject CD's with out a few tries when the car was about 3 years old and just kept getting worse. The Volume know was very flaky and often times would turn the volume up when you tried to turn it down. Finally a few months ago, the thing would turn off and on every two seconds with out the key even in the ignition.

This is when I switched to aftermarket.

I have a friend who has the 2006 with a 6 disk. It was louder and sounded better than my Blaupunkt did.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Isn't 05 the year they changed up the center dash? Making the radio double DIN? I doubt it would fit well in the 1.8 DIN of OP's 2002.

·
Registered
338 Posts
the 9006 should plug right in. Only the blau was different as its german. My zx5 came stock with the 9006 6 disc. Have just bought a used blau and will instal it soon.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the Blaupunkt. I always thought is was pretty decent for a factory head-unit. It produced good sound and was easy to use. It did lag a lot in a CD especially when the CD was MP3. I loved how easy it was to use and the screen was very easy to see. Often times it would skip with a very slight bump. My car is an 03 with 56K on it. The cd player often would not eject CD's with out a few tries when the car was about 3 years old and just kept getting worse. The Volume know was very flaky and often times would turn the volume up when you tried to turn it down. Finally a few months ago, the thing would turn off and on every two seconds with out the key even in the ignition.

This is when I switched to aftermarket.

I have a friend who has the 2006 with a 6 disk. It was louder and sounded better than my Blaupunkt did.

wow my 6006 right now, the one that just broke, has the same problems. the volume increases when try to decrease it and vice versa and it skips a lot on bumps which sucks coz i have stiff front suspension.

so i guess the blaupunkt is out of my options now. i know how the 6006 performs because thats what i have. How about the 9006 and the single disc ones, are they good?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have had 4 1st gen foci and 1 2g and in my personal experiance the cd changer in thew 05 is MUCH better. the blaukpunkts have alot of lag with mp3 cds even between songs. got rid of it real quick. the 9006 would be the second best. i would be willing to trade you my stock 05 changer if you buy and ship me a pioneer headunit used is ok :)
i dont think the 05 changer will fit my car. i have a 2002 ZX5

·
Banned
263 Posts
^^ you are correct sorry didnt think about that

1 - 11 of 11 Posts