Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the coil packs on my '04 2.3L Duratec.

I can get a set of new OEM coil packs for about $190 on ebay
or
A set of Massive Dynomite coil packs for about $300

And then there are also the OBX coil packs for about $225 which OBX says only fits the Duratec 2.0, but those should fit the 2.3 too, right? Aren't they the same OEM part #?

My main question is, since I need to replace them anyway, is it worth it at all to pay more than OEM?

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I would probably stick to OEM... there's a lot of cars out there doing quite well with them... from what I recall the Massive ones showed possibly marginal gains in a limited range.

Not familiar with the OBX kind, so for the cheapest solution, which is also pretty damn good, I'd do the OEM ones that you Know fit.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
what happened to your stock ones?

everyone who ive seen getting the aftermarkets have said they regret it (not worth it)

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx lil pzev and nemesis, that's kinda what I thought about sticking with OEM

honhon and nemesis,
My stock ones are going bad (at least I think they are) I get an intermittent P0351 code with loss of power and running rough. I bought one new coil pack, so by process of elimination I found one coil pack that's pretty bad and there's one more that's not as bad. Unless my car is possessed and the coil packs aren't the problem at all.

*edit*
My car is 5 years old, so I figure it's about time for the coil packs to get replaced anyway

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
In the 5 years that I've been at Ford, I have never seen all four coil packs go bad at the same time. I would just pay to have someone look at it rather then just throw parts at it that might not even fix it.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
In the 5 years that I've been at Ford, I have never seen all four coil packs go bad at the same time. I would just pay to have someone look at it rather then just throw parts at it that might not even fix it.
X2^^^^^ HES RIGHT!!! i could see if you just had the code come up on one cylinder and you moved the coil to another cylinder and you got the code on that other cylinder, then yea that might be a cop, but all at once? i would do some playing around with them befor you drop 100+ on new coils. just look into it.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
wait, your saying more than one at once? that is odd...the ignition system is pretty solid in these cars. did you check the clips closely? they can break when you take them off. or, did you check just the plugs?

·
Busy Monkey
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thx guys. I already checked the clips and wires and nothing is broken or loose.

One thing though, a couple thousand miles before this problem started I had changed my spark plugs. So I'll change 'em again and see if that helps. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i put my next paycheck on the plugs...or a loose connection. Make sure you put some dielectric grease inbetween the coilpack and plug after you change them, seen that cause a missfire on many occasions.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
hi...so any update ever on this?

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
any update on this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts