Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Focus SE, stock Aluminum wheels. The OEM lugs are soft as hell and keep rounding and getting stuck in my impact socket. I'm using 19mm, so I know it's the right size. I have the same problem on my truck, which uses a very similar lug nut design. These 2 piece nuts suck. Anybody have a good suggestion for solid, one-piece nuts? Preferably one that uses a hex pattern. The spline sockets might break with an impact wrench.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue when I purchased mine last month. I actually had to use a nut removal tool to get a few off and bought a 5 pack from the local auto store.

Now I’m preemptively replacing the whole set, I’m on the fence about which ones to buy. If anyone has suggestions please chime in.

·
Registered
18,243 Posts
Don't use McGard's with an impact, you will shear the key shape on the special tool pretty quick. I've had to remove more than one set simply tightening them by hand; the tool is not that strong at all. The key shape will shear right off after maybe 8-10 uses if you torque by hand all the way up. Had to go to them when people began stealing regular steel wheels around here, ridiculous. Or use them and buy a spare key tool to have it because you WILL at some point need it. I make sure the one that is McGard is always somewhat looser than the others so it comes off with no trouble.

Go to parts store and the Dorman catalog they use and run through the lugs in the stud size you need and they will describe the slight differences and whether they are two part or not and you can then pick a replacement hex type for what you need there. You can buy one at a time to look at them too. Find the part number and then go to Rock Auto and buy the bulk, probably quite a bit cheaper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts