Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m looking at buying a set of OEM front heated seats for my 2012 that did not come with heated seats. The seats I’m looking at buying from the scrap yard are heated off a 2012 as well. Does anyone know what I will need to wire up the heated seats and make them work? Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had good results using my existing seats and adding a heating pad kit. The kit comes with 4 pads (enough to do two front seats), dial controls and all the wiring to connect everything. You just need to supply a piece of 12 gauge primary (10 feet is plenty) wire to go from your rear fuse panel up to the front around the area of the center console. It tucks nicely along the lower trim. You also need to supply a fuse tap at the panel for a mini type fuse. The kit I used (See here) only needed one wire to run both seats whereas the OEM configuration has separate fuses for each seat. I was concerned that because of this, they might not get too hot but they are just as effective as they are on my daughter's Focus with the OEM seat warmers. I like the dial controls that the kit came with.

There is a guide to doing this elsewhere on this forum that I pretty much followed. You do have to take the seats out to get the pads tucked in but other than a T50 socket to get them out, no special tools are required (there are no hog-rings holding the seat covers on - just reusable clips). If you use the same kit I linked with the round dial controls, you need a 20mm drill bit to create the mounting hole. Here is a pic showing where I mounted them - works well.
0117201302~2.jpg

·
Registered
123 Posts
From what I understand from other posts are that the wires and connectors are in the wire harness already but you'd need to confirm to be sure. I'm not sure if this is the case for the base trim package and I'm not sure what trim package your 2012 is. Lift out the cup holder and there should be a connector for the seat heater switches; this confirms the wiring is there. If the wiring is present then all you would need is the heated seats and the cup holder module with the switches. The fuse for the heated seats is in the trunk/hatch area on the left side. Make sure the fuse is in place.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I understand from other posts are that the wires and connectors are in the wire harness already but you'd need to confirm to be sure. I'm not sure if this is the case for the base trim package and I'm not sure what trim package your 2012 is. Lift out the cup holder and there should be a connector for the seat heater switches; this confirms the wiring is there. If the wiring is present then all you would need is the heated seats and the cup holder module with the switches. The fuse for the heated seats is in the trunk/hatch area on the left side. Make sure the fuse is in place.
That would be an awesome simple install!
Looks like I’m hitting the scrap yard lol
Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
That would be an awesome simple install!
Looks like I’m hitting the scrap yard lol
Thanks!
Double check and confirm the wiring is indeed there. Hopefully it is like I've read.

If it is not then you are looking at running fused power from the fuse panel in the rear to the seat and from the seat to the switch. You could snip part of the wiring harness from the donor car and wire the pigtail accordingly.

If you want to add seat heaters to your existing seats I recommend the heaters in the following link over the eBay, AliExpress and Amazon offerings for longevity. The eBay ones I installed failed halfway through the first winter. These are much better quality and I'm on my third year now. >> Canada Seat Skins Seat Heater . I installed them in my other 2 cars which were not equipped with seat heaters. My Focus has them from the factory. Go with the 5 level switch; I wish I had.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts