Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of OBX headers for my 18 MK3 focus that came with an OBX gasket for when you install. However, I seem to have misplaced it.

Tasca has an OEM header gasket for $6 or so.

Will the OEM header gasket work with the OBX headers?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to the below link, the OEM gasket worked with OBX headers

Will be ordering via tasca shortly.

·
FF Affiliate
30,513 Posts
Yes OEM will work fine , more then likely better then the OBX , where are you located , wanting to do some header testing on my dyno , I can also help you with a Custom tune for when you install the header

Tom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom! This is J down in Texas, I just sent you an email re: updated tune for the headers(y)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the stock header assembly removed today. Was a pain in the behind, mainly because I was working alone, only had a tire change jack, and only had about 3 hours of sun light.

Here's a quick breakdown even though there are 100s of mk3 obx install threads:

Step 1, removed neg battery terminal.

Jacked up car on front driver's side.

Found where header assembly connected to exhaust, it's 2 10mm bolts IIRC. Placed a socket on the bolt and tapped the drive a few times with a plastic hammer to break the torque. Then used the ratchet to get it going. When it began to spin, placed a 10mm spanner wrench on the opposite side, torqued the bolt, the wrench will catch on the underside of the car and let you remove it. Repeated this for the other side without moving the jack.

Back up top, lowered the jack. Removed the heat shield from above the stock header. Unplugged both sensors that feed into the headers from the harness on the engine.

Used a deep socket to undo the 5 nuts holding the header to the block. The bottom 2 are behind some of the pipes so I had to use an extension for those. Used the plastic hammer again to break them free.

Jacked the car back up on the driver's front side, undid the bracket hanger holding the assembly in place. Lowered the car, moved the jack to the opposite side, and undid the other bolt. These bolts were not torqued on too hard and had nothing on the opposite side.

Lowered the car again. Undid the passenger side top front motor mount that is connected to the car frame/wheel well. Again, tight so I used a soft hammer to tap it loose then used a socket and ratchet to get both off.

Snaked a strap around the motor mount and used a ratchet strap, snaked to the frame of the car above the headlight, to pull the block an inch or two forward. I had to do this since I was alone.

Removed the header free from the 5 bolts on the engine.

Undid the cowling for the car. The rigid part is held in place by 2 bolts iirc, they are located underneath the cabin filter looking pieces. Pulled this out.

When I was trying to pull out the assembly, the bracket hanger was getting caught up on the underside heatshield. I undid the bolt on the passenger side and gently bent it towards the driver's side out of the way.

OEM header came free, however I was a little too forceful and ended up tearing some of the inner wires on the blue o2 cable. Luckily a shop nearby has one for sale and I'm picking it up tomorrow morning.

The obx header assembly doesnt have any of the heat shield connect points or the hanger. Should be easy, I plan on attaching the sensors, snaking it through, placing it on the 5 bolts, undoing the ratchet strap on the block, securing the block, getting the 5 nut started, jacking the car up, attach the assembly to the exhaust, coming back up to the top and finish off the 5 nuts. Then put the cowling back on and connect the battery terminal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts