Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are considering a foglight mod for your focus (where your foglights will turn on with the running lights), there is a OEM approved relay that you can purchase from Bosch that you can install without risking the voiding of your warranty. if you buy the part directly from Bosch, it also comes with a mount for the relay (I guess its a piggyback), whereas if you take your car directly to your dealer for the mod, I guess they don't have the mounts.

I'm also assuming that this relay will also kill the foglights when you use your brights, which will ease any tensions regarding the car passing inspections.

Once Bosch's parts directory is back up and running, I'll update with part# and pricing.

due to the popularity of this mod, the admins may want to make this sticky after I've finished gathering info. ;-)

-Paul

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
pretty cool...although it should have been like this from the factory.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
It is stock for the 06 [neener]

Anyway thats pretty cool, I'm glad someone actualy has developed this for the 05 and down.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yeah I think it will be for up to '05. the DRL foglight mod is a different story though. I mentioned this mod to the service manager and he didnt seem to know anything about a R12/13 piggyback relay for DRL fog lights, though he did find it just as interesting as I did that there were reports of people getting TC/ABS warning lights when performing this mod. Sorry, I tried looking out for yas =p

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
*bump* still waiting for bosch to finish updating their online parts finder. clearly they need new web techs. personally, I woulda had the updates finished before taking down the old system...i mean really, wtf? hehe. i'll update again once I can get the info - may even call them tomorrow if I wake up early enough. i work nights so daytime business is problematic for me, hehe. if someone else has the time and ambition to do this for me, that'd be great.

-Paul

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info Paul. I use the chopped wire relay in mine, it seems to work fine, but to cut down on the "hacked look" I might look into this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
yeah, i was going to go that route myself, and even went up to the dealership for schematics when the service manager told me about the relay.

UPDATE: I finally got out of bed early enough to call Bosch and have them look up the part number, and heres what they told me:

Bosch P/N: 0332019150
You can get this part from rockauto.com for about $7.00
this is a piggyback relay and it installs the same way as for the straight jumper method(the two - not 3 - parallel pins on R13) and does come with mounting tab.

a brief reminder of why you might want to go this route instead of using a straight jumper wire:
· Use of this relay wont void warranties
· Vehicle will still pass inspections, and less risk of frying circuits
· LOOKS cleaner, and a mounting clip comes with the unit
· and at this point i'm also assuming that hi beams will still work properly, killing the fogs
when in use to help prevent tickets in more stringently enforced areas

once I have mine installed, I'll post all of this under a new thread complete with how-to and pics for the moderators to sticky

for those of you within reasonable driving distance from me here in MI (Utica area), PM me if you want to order one of these to maybe save on shipping, and we can dole them out at the next meet (aiming for july 22nd), or you can contact me to pick up another time

-Paul

·
Registered
134 Posts
2005 must have been the year Ford changed the foglight on w/o headlights. Mine came that way.

Question:
The dealer removed a relay that was in #12 and #13(?) engine compartment fuse box and also took something out of the glove compartment area before I was given the keys to the new Focus. I had declined to buy some fancy anti-theft device, is that what was being removed???

Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, 2005 was the year they 'fixed' the fog lamp switch.

no idea what they took out of the glove box, but R12/13 are your DRL and headlamp relays, respectively. you'd have to ask whoever you bought your focus from about that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks.

My mistake - it was D1 and D4 relays I believe. It was over a year ago. I hate even talking to the dealership people, but if anyone has any idea what it was they removed it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
*Bump*
The offer for group purchasing will be open until This friday (7th) at 2pm. Again, this offer relates to those who live near Utica, MI or will be attending the Detroit Area Beach Party on July 22nd. (link in my sig)

after 2pm friday, I will be placing my order so that it should arrive before the event.

-Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
After getting my foglights aimed properly, I ordered this relay and received it today from Rockauto.com It has a tab sticking up on the back with a hole in it but no other hardware came with it (came in a plain plastic bag with the relay number written on it in marker). The relay is a Bosch, has the part number "0 332 019 150" stamped on top. It is marked 12V, 30A. On the side it is marked "592053" over "P3", "Made in Germany". Does this relay simply replace the regular foglight relay or is there hardware that is missing, thanks.

Kevin
`05 ST

1 - 13 of 13 Posts