Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Odometer unreadable at night and now rest of dash dimming

317 Views 11 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  pbfoot
First - yes the knob is turned to full bright!

We have a 2004 SVT and 2005 ZX3. The SVT dash has always been much dimmer than the ZX3.

Worse the odometer for the SVT is absolutely unreadable at night. It is lit but barely. Thankfully I can still read the gas gauge.

Recently though the SVT dash has started to fully dim. It's not like our Ranger or my old EGT where bulbs would go out and I'd lose a section of the dash, it's the entire dash display dimming.

We will check for loose connections on the new issue unless someone has seen this before and knows what it is.

Can anyone give me input on the odometer being so dim? I can't imagine that's normal.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE 181k miles. 2004 ZX3 SVT 199k miles
4,994 Posts
First - yes the knob is turned to full bright!

We have a 2004 SVT and 2005 ZX3. The SVT dash has always been much dimmer than the ZX3.

Worse the odometer for the SVT is absolutely unreadable at night. It is lit but barely. Thankfully I can still read the gas gauge.

Recently though the SVT dash has started to fully dim. It's not like our Ranger or my old EGT where bulbs would go out and I'd lose a section of the dash, it's the entire dash display dimming.

We will check for loose connections on the new issue unless someone has seen this before and knows what it is.

Can anyone give me input on the odometer being so dim? I can't imagine that's normal.
Replace the bulb in the odometer. Easily obtained at the auto parts store. If the dimmer switch portion of the headlight switch is good, meaning you can can fully dim the dash lights ,the problem will be the oil pressure,oil temperature gauge. It has the ac transformer for the indiglo instrument lighting. I replaced mine and it brought my gauge lighting back.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the bulb in the odometer. Easily obtained at the auto parts store. If the dimmer switch portion of the headlight switch is good, meaning you can can fully dim the dash lights ,the problem will be the oil pressure,oil temperature gauge. It has the ac transformer for the indiglo instrument lighting. I replaced mine and it brought my gauge lighting back.
That is amazingly obscure lol! But just the answer I was looking for. Will report back when we check it out.

I will double check the dimmer switch, haven't driven it at night for a few weeks, but am sure it will dim down to nothing. Just doesn't get bright on full bright.

· Registered
4,994 Posts
BTW is the transformer replaceable separately or do I need to replace those gauges?
It is replaceable if you are handy with a soldering iron and circuit board repair. Lol.Search the threads. It has been done many times. Me? I.just replace the small oil gauge package. It plugs into the main instrument cluster. I've had good luck with used replacements.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is replaceable if you are handy with a soldering iron and circuit board repair. Lol.Search the threads. It has been done many times. Me? I.just replace the small oil gauge package. It plugs into the main instrument cluster. I've had good luck with used replacements.
I'm searching thanks, looks like Jeff was going to do a write up awhile back. Is this SVT specific? Seems to be a common problem

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This happened last week (not to me). Hit the dash and they brightened up. Same issue right? I actually have the video but I can't post it I guess

This is what I found for a part number here somewhere. Are they the same all years? I found somewhere else that had a range of ending letters.

Went to a yard the other day that had 7 Foci but no SVTs

Attachments

· Registered
4,994 Posts
This happened last week (not to me). Hit the dash and they brightened up. Same issue right? I actually have the video but I can't post it I guess

This is what I found for a part number here somewhere. Are they the same all years? I found somewhere else that had a range of ending letters.

Went to a yard the other day that had 7 Foci but no SVTs
The same gauge for all focus SVTS. Sounds like a loose solder joint if you can hit the dash and brighten it up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts