Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 Focus Zetec won't start and odometer shows dashes. The computer is disabling the starter relay. If I bypass the output from the computer I can crank the engine no problem but of course the computer will not operate the engine. Anyone know what is wrong before I tow the car to the dealer?

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
When the odometer changes to dashes, that usually means there is a problem with the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It also can have to do with the engine management system losing its memory.

That could be a reason why it won't start, the engine management system is pootched. Take it in to the dealership and they can reload it.

Usually when the odometer gets those dashes (when the car is running) the speedo drops to zero also which is cause to determine that the problem is the VSS.

I'm guessing your engine management is causing the problem. If the software is 'losing its memory' it could explain the instruments resetting on startup as well if that is the case, hard to know unless I was there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. It appears to be a problem with the "power hold" relay. Tapping the relay got the car going again. The dealer was pretty good at finding this quickly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Question about Power Hold Relay

Coyote, where is the power hold relay? Secondly, how did this issue for you come about? Because my engine cut out one day while driving and then the dashes showed up on the odometer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, it seems I got the same problem (for a long time) but now its pretty annoyng and car is barely usable when I can´t rely on it.
Did you manage this problem? Its a long time with last reply to this problem?

to Chad (S2) - I got problem with vehicle speed sensor too, its replaced 2 year earlier and this problem is still occured (dashes on odometer when I´m starting)
Thank a lot!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My issue was due to a loose ground wire. I had a mobile mechanic come diagnose the car for 60$ bucks. He traced back all the connections from the fuse panels with an Ohm meter. I forget exactly which ground it was, however it was located near the battery. Looking at the front of the car, battery on your right; it was down the right side of the battery box in front of the strut tower(towards you). Basically, I'd say check all your connections and wiring which can be cumbersome.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
S2(Chad)hasn't been around here is quite some time now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Dashes -------- where mileage normally shows is caused by no pcm ground. The culpret ground wire is from negative battery to the fender on driver side. Pull the airbox
up out of the way to access the bolt. Remove it, clean the cable and wire wheel the bolt and dielectrical grease the cable, bolt, and cleaned fender. This should fix it.

Bills86e

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having the same issue except my engine management fuse and relay are both good. I have a new (used) pcm with a programmed key. I bought the car from someone who had a FPDM No COMM fault they couldnt figure it out so they changed almost everything wireing harnes from PCM to fuel pump, FPDM , fuel pump, Inertia Switch ect. they also had dashes on the odometer when i got it. When i installed the other pcm the odometer read and i thought i was in the clear. Still had a crank no start issue. i traced wiring to and from the PCM and FPDM (Continuity and power)all was good tried cranking again and it started. it ran for a few seconds and shut off, tried again and it ran fine until i hit the gas. i turned it off out of frustration and the next day went at it again and there were the dashes again with a no crank no start issue any ideas?

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Two main circuits to provide PCM power/ground.

One is the ground circuit described here (small wire to battery negative) and he other is though one of the diodes in the underhood fuse box for power.

You don't specifically mention checking either, and intermittents there are pretty common (when there is a problem at all).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have checked and rechecked that ground wired as well as make sure the diodes are good but didn't check for power at the diodes I can do that anything else I could check if that turns out okay?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have rechecked the grounds everywhere that i know of all good. I checked both diodes in the BJB and D1 i have power but D2 i do not have power. I have checked the diodes for continuity and they are good. I dont have any schematics or find anything that tells me what supplies power to that diode or anything like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So i went out and checked the diodes and ground. i found that D2 does not have power going to it. Does this supply the pcm with power? what should i do to troubleshoot this does anyone have a schematic?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
So i went out and checked the diodes and ground. i found that D2 does not have power going to it. Does this supply the pcm with power? what should i do to troubleshoot this does anyone have a schematic?
Read this thread or maybe just see the picture at post-1->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/636129-zetec-engine-whats-green-blue-wire-behind-coil-do.html

The wire (rf filter) mentioned in that thread might also "short" (if exposed to ground) and cause your problem, or be a part of the problem.

I am not personally experienced with this rf-filter on the Zetec, but I am very experienced with a similar rf filter, symptoms, solutions on the Duratec.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,380 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whoops, I forgot to mention that the wire you need to inspect is located in the picture at the top, and in the middle of the picture.
I checked continuity on the rf filter wire to ground and got little resistance. where would this come into play with the PCM? ive looked through every schematic i can find to see where this wore goes as of right now it disappears into the loom. Any advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I checked continuity on the rf filter wire to ground and got little resistance. where would this come into play with the PCM?...
I do not have a wire schematic for that car, so I can not help very much. Stand-by as others here at FF can help you.... will/might help you.

Off the top of my head (IIRC) that wire should be hot (12V) and should not have "wire to ground and got little resistance". Please change your measurement on that wire and check for voltage, and expect to see 12V.

There are too many unknown things here for me to help much, but if I had the wire schematic for your car, I could help more.

Side note: these cars have printed books or PDF or CD copies of the official Ford wire diagrams available on ebay or other online retailers. I bought my 2004 book via ebay and only cost about $15, -including shipping!

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts