Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ford focus 1.8 petrol ghia 2003

hi!
my car has only recently developed this problem.
when i remove the key from the ignition, the backlight of the odometer comes on. it doesnt display anything but just stays lit.

ive been experimenting.. its very temperamental. one day it will stay off and be normal. other days as soon as i take the key out, it comes on.
sometimes there is a few seconds delay after taking the key out before it comes on or sometimes it will randomly flicker crazily as if its trying to get itself on... and then remains on! i have no idea what it can be, but i must say it is very annoying!

has anybody else experienced this problem and is there a way of solving this problem?

thanks a lot,

matt

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well. No! I don't have that issue. Your going to have to find the wiring diagrams, but I suspect that light is fed by a microswitch inside your ignition, and that's now having a problem. Electrical cleaner might do it...or not! You don't happen to have noticed if the weather is a factor?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yikes.. so u mean spray the inside of the ignition with electrical cleaner??
hmm well tbh... it happened after i got it back from the garage.. i took it in for them to sort out my pinging issues.. of course they were noobs and said theres nothing wrong with it.. the retards even told me pinging was normal and that my 160 miles on a full tank was down to my driving habit?? ffs!! idiots dont know anything... but... to cut the long story short.. i didnt bother to take it back to them because i was so pissed off with them to start with... weather wise, there wasnt a change in weather when it happened.. so im guessing thats probably not it..

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Well, Specifically, Tuner cleaner. It has a lubricant as well. BIG NOTE: Really aggressive cleaners (Like "Blue Shower") can do bad things to some plastics. The can always says "test on a small area first", and boy do they mean it. Ehhh! Forget it. Don't want you to compound your problem. Think maybe your going to have to remove the ignition (the clockwork). Although I cannot see how this shop could have screwed that up, I have been to some shops who are less than adequate myself. But the problem is related to the key, so my thinking is its got to be in there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh yes i see.. hmmm i may have to have a fiddle with it i guess... i mean i guess it really isnt a "problem" just flippin annoying lol!

thanks a lot for your help!!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
My 2c..... For starters, while the light is staying on, start pulling fuses one at a time. Eventually the light should go out. This will give you the circuit that is having the problem.

After that, you'll need to find a diagram that shows everything on that circuit. It seems like a crossed circuit somewhere in that system....doubtful if contact cleaner will fix anything. These sorts of problems can be a bear.... good luck.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for that bluefront! ill have a look on saturday. i have a feeling its probably something to do with the ignition keylock itself.. if the key sits there in position 1. the light remains off. but as soon as u turn it to 0 to pull it out, thats when it comes on.. it seems the two are related based on my fiddling.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Well the ignition switch may be working normal. When you pull the key out, there are circuits that are turned off, and some that might be turned on. Sometimes a wire that is in that circuit which is +12v when the key is in, turns into a ground when the key is out. (hard to explain).

So.....if a circuit is crossed, it's quite possible your light might get a ground, where none should exist. There are all sorts of possible issues......so I'm only giving you one possibility. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ign switch.....

When I worked for a dealer.....If I had a problem like this, the quickest fix was to substitute known good parts. I'd see if our parts dept had a new one, or sometimes swap a part from one of our used or new cars. There are very few wires coming out of the ign switch. If it really had a problem, you'd think more things would be affected.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
bluefront is right! I checked my schematics (granted its a diff year and continent). I think now you have nothing more than a sticky relay. *-D

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh right! you guys know so much! now... what do u think i can do about it? or should i just live with it?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Without a factory wiring manual for your year/model, the most we can probably do is give you generic information. If you're a noob to electrical system trouble-shooting, and don't even have a wiring manual, you're in a bunch of trouble.

A mechanic at a Ford dealer might first study the wire diagram to see if there's any possible explanation. Then he might call Ford technical help, to see if there's a similar problem logged into their data-base. Then he might pull fuses, relays, to see what makes the light go out (narrows the possible problem areas). As a last resort he'd pull the instrument cluster and visually check everything, including the main plugs. After that.....time exhausting pin-tests.

When I did stuff like this for a living at a dealer.....we could do much of the testing by hooking a small diagnostic computer to the late-model vehicles.

Like I said....this sort of problem can be difficult to trace.

If it was my car.....I'd be tempted to find the power wire that goes to that circuit, and maybe cut it and power it differently from another 12v source and see what happens. But I've got a factory wiring diagram manual...big help.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ahh right.. well i do have a haynes manual lol! ill have a looksee tomorrow init. thanks for your quick replies bluefront! :)

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
I doubt the Haynes manual will be any help.....but it's worth a try. I never found that sort of manual to be much help with wiring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ford focus 1.8 petrol ghia 2003

hi!
my car has only recently developed this problem.
when i remove the key from the ignition, the backlight of the odometer comes on. it doesnt display anything but just stays lit.

ive been experimenting.. its very temperamental. one day it will stay off and be normal. other days as soon as i take the key out, it comes on.
sometimes there is a few seconds delay after taking the key out before it comes on or sometimes it will randomly flicker crazily as if its trying to get itself on... and then remains on! i have no idea what it can be, but i must say it is very annoying!

has anybody else experienced this problem and is there a way of solving this problem?

thanks a lot,

matt

Hello friends
I just found this forum and I want to tell you that I have the same problem in a focus 1.6 trend.
This problem started 1 month ago. I'm still looking for the solution.
If you have any ideas pls post.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lool.. i still havent found a solution... its so temperamental.. sometimes itll be come on, sometimes itll behave and stay off!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I would really need schematics! But there is something else, at least on my 07 which is prob in all focus. There is a switch that does not show in the normal ignition (the clockwork). The switch get activated when you insert the key. Now I am guessing obviously, but if that switch is getting sticky, maybe the 'car' thinks the key is still in the ignition? Does this panel light normally come on when you just insert the key? (not turning it). That's about the best I can do with my schematics. [dunno]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring back such an old thread but after searching the internet djmontara's symptoms seem the only ones to match mine completely.

My light stays on when I take the key out of the ignition and does also blink sometimes, I have noticed that in the summer this never happens and only starts to happen in the colder months

I've thought maybe there is condensation somewhere on two points causing a bridge that shouldn't be there when the ignition is off.

After reading this tonight I'm going to go home and start pulling fuses and relays to see if I can narrow this down somewhat as it is causing my battery to flatten over the course of 3 days after a full charge :/

Seeing as this thread is so old, did anyone find a solution?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts