Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I have been reading all over the sight to see if anyone is having the same issues as I am, and some sound close but I'm still not completely sure. On my 03 focus zx5
When I turn at slow speeds, and even at a stand still I can hear an almost rubber on rubber grind/squeak, I took a good listen with my brother turning the wheel and it sounds like its coming from top of the driver side strut tower.
A lot of people have thunks which could be stabalizer links or numerous other things, I know its not my cv joints, but im going nuts trying to figure out what the sound is. Any advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Also when looking at my stabalizer links how will i know if they have gone bad or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
power steering

If its a rubber grind squeak kinda noise could be loose belt, worn belt, low power steering fluid, bad power steering pump, bad power steering rack, clogged power steering filter ( if equipped ). I would check fluid first.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If its a rubber grind squeak kinda noise could be loose belt, worn belt, low power steering fluid, bad power steering pump, bad power steering rack, clogged power steering filter ( if equipped ). I would check fluid first.
I agree ^^^^^^^^^ also invest in a automotive stethoscope......

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, well I know its not fluid, or a loose or worn belt. Im going on a road trip in a couple weeks so I have been doing a lot of maintenance lately. I know what a bad power steering pump sounds like and its more of a whine, not the rubber pulling across rubber sound. Which leaves a bad power steering rack... How would I go about inspecting it to see if it is in good shape or not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Okay, well I know its not fluid, or a loose or worn belt. Im going on a road trip in a couple weeks so I have been doing a lot of maintenance lately. I know what a bad power steering pump sounds like and its more of a whine, not the rubber pulling across rubber sound. Which leaves a bad power steering rack... How would I go about inspecting it to see if it is in good shape or not.
did you do a power steering flush?.....is your rack leaking....when I bought my focus a month ago it needed a rack. the seals where shot and it would not hold any fluid....go buy a auto stethoscope or if you are to cheap you can try a rubber hose to your ear............

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
What kind of shape is the top of your strut in? If it is right at the top of the strut tower you might be moving around a bit in it. Could be a bump stop or something simple that isn't part of the power steering system. Are you able to recreate the noise while you have the car on jack stands, ie not under load?

·
Registered
228 Posts
What kind of shape is the top of your strut in? If it is right at the top of the strut tower you might be moving around a bit in it. Could be a bump stop or something simple that isn't part of the power steering system. Are you able to recreate the noise while you have the car on jack stands, ie not under load?
what he said^^^^^^^^^ have you tried replicating the sound with the car off and just bouncing and pushing on that corner of the car

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*face palm* didn't even think to try it with the car not started. Will definitely check that today, the seals are good, and its not leaking any powersteering fluid, which is why I don't think it is my rack. So if it does make the same sounds with the car not running, and with it in the air, or on the ground, what should I be looking at?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
I'd be looking at the top of the strut tower. There is the bearing thing that it mounts into, you can see that when you have the hood up, I'd also look at the bump stop. Basically, all of the rubber that your strut touches, since you did say it sounds like a rubber grinding and squeaking.

Try to do a visual inspection first, taking the strut out is kinda a PITA. Shine a flashlight up there and see if anything is cracked. Get your brother or a friend to work the wheel with the power off and see if you can get the noise still, which should elimnate power steering. Check your CV boots really well to make sure there is no grease leaking out of them, as well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
*face palm* didn't even think to try it with the car not started. Will definitely check that today, the seals are good, and its not leaking any powersteering fluid, which is why I don't think it is my rack. So if it does make the same sounds with the car not running, and with it in the air, or on the ground, what should I be looking at?
you have to get in there and poke around. there is not other way........when trying to find noises etc, you have to just try different things...for example if you have road noise or vibrations you need to shift into neutral and see if it changes etc....................I will strongly suggest you do a power steering flush... these racks are not the greatest and new fresh fluid might save you down the road...........buy a few quarts of fluid and disconnect the return line and start the car while turning the wheel and pump the old crap out as you fill the reservoir

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
you have to get in there and poke around. there is not other way........when trying to find noises etc, you have to just try different things...for example if you have road noise or vibrations you need to shift into neutral and see if it changes etc....................I will strongly suggest you do a power steering flush... these racks are not the greatest and new fresh fluid might save you down the road...........buy a few quarts of fluid and disconnect the return line and start the car while turning the wheel and pump the old crap out as you fill the reservoir
Even if it doesn't fix the noise, it never hurts to have fresh, clean PS fluid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
after Jacking the car up, and doing some brake work, go it back on the wheels and the sound is completely gone...wtf lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts