Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd shaking while accelerating

Ok, so I got the new tires a while back and then I got a screw in the front passenger. So I bring it to my local shop that does my inspection as well as tires. They pull the tire pull out the screw (1.5” drywall type), so it just had enough length to get all the way through. They patch the tire a put it back on. Now the car has a strange shaking when I get on the gas WOT. If I go nice and slow I can feel it a little but if I go WOT it really gets crazy. I do not feel much in the steering wheel when it is happening but you can feel the entire car is shaking and you can see the windshield wipers starting to bounce off the windshield. I did notice that with less tire pressure the problem is really bad, so I keep it around 35-38 in the fronts now. I go back they pull the tire and just to a rebalance and off I go still have the problem. I go back they rebalance the tire again same problem move the tire to the rear and now it seems even worse. The guy also said there was fluid on my strut so he thinks at this point my strut is bad.

1. I think either my rim was bent from them pulling the tire for the patch
2. The tire has separated cords
3. Motor mount is bad somewhere
4. Some other front end part or drive shaft part is bad

So how can I go about narrowing it down? I jacked up the car pulled the tire off all the parts there seem fine nothing obvious bent or busted open or grease or fluids all over. I look at the rear motor mount looks ok the passenger one looks ok I guess (does the top rubber part rotate can it be removed to see a bolt or something? Could this be where the fluid came from on the strut the tire guy found?) I have not checked the third one I need to pull the battery to see it?
Thanks in advance,
B

·
Registered
92 Posts
shaking like that could be cv axles? Just a thought, might e plain the oil/fluid found on the strut... Can you check the cv boot to see if its torn or damaged?

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Would sound like a strut, being the tire guy said it looked wet, you moved the suspect tire to the back and had the same issue. I'd say it's a pretty good chance you have a blown strut.
Easiest way to tell is push down on that side of the car a few good times. If it seems to bounce more so than other corners, consider it bad and in need of repair. They used to say if it bounced more than 3 times it was bad, but I've never really seen that work well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Car is tight when I try and push down on either side. Could the springs be too strong to test it this way?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still got my problem, have pulled and inspected the motor mount and transmission mount, all good. Replaced spark plugs with the motorcraft, I guess it is time to let Ford check my strut and front end parts like cv, tie rods, steering stuff...

: (

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go online and find a Discount tire center that does Road balancing. it might just need the proper balance on the tire. The machine puts the tire on a load as if your car was on the road and then gives you the best balance for it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard of that, I need to call and ask them how that works and how much per tire...

Thanks,
B

1 - 9 of 9 Posts