Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres one for you guys

its -5, I start the car 20 min before I leave and let it idle.. within 15seconds 1 rad fan starts which shouldn't then 2 seconds after that fan 2 starts up
I look inside at my heater settings because I know 1 fan is semi controlled by the windshield defrost setting (which auto turns on the AC), its set to vents only with no AC light o_O

a year ago about this time someone locked the keys in the car which took me about 3 hours to get to the car to open it , it sat idling in the driveway
anyways the result was a Fail-Safe'd Thermostat (its failed full open) so it takes the car about 20min to get luke warm

Why is the fan turning on this is what I don't get I can tell you Warm or cold out doesn't matter it always runs and I can trip it (The Fans) to shut off by revving the car but about 5 seconds after the revs drop it kicks in again

tonight both fans stayed on [chair]

I will be replacing the thermostat soon but I highly doubt that the failed thermostat is whats causing the fans to engage on a stone cold engine

There is Sufficient Coolant in the system every few days I squeeze the rad hoses to make sure theres coolant in them which always make a gurgling sound when I do and the coolant overflow tank is always on full (Hot) even when cold

there is no Check Engine Light, car idles and runs perfectly other then its a cow to heat the interior due to the bad thermostat [histerical]

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
There are at least 2 relays involved with this, one could be defective in that it might have fallen apart inside and the little contact arm is just flopping around in there, making contact when it shouldn't.

They're in the battery junction box. Other than that, a bad sensor?- but from the looks of it, the fans use the same sensor as everything else, so if it was bad, I'd expect you'd have trouble with other things too.

I think first I'd pull those relays out and give them a good shake. You shouldn't hear anything rattling around in there.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually tried that I stole all the relays from Wagon 2 and installed them in wagon 1 with the same effect.. tonight tho the fans RARELY turned on which is even MORE puzzling cuz it was warmer then that other night...

I did find a Holed relay but I believe that was the after effect from being yanked with pliers I can see the teeth grooves around the small hole and the relay belonged to Fogs which my car does not have nor had...

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
When these fans come on, do they come on strong- Do the lights dim and the fans accellerate smartly, or do they seem kind of lazy when starting.

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
they hit hards the lights dim for a second and tonight it did it again and both were turning on at the same time I watched them with the hood up.. this is now getting really annoying cuz I stop through a drivethrough and those suckers are LOUD when they run simultaneously

Ive never seen these fans ever be lazy they crank up to speed quickly

in a few days its going in for its monthly oilchange and when its there im gunna get a new thermostat thrown in with new coolant... thing is it won't solve the fan prob LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts