Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the first winter I'm experiencing these issues in the 8-9 years of having this vehicle.

- Heat car up in the morning and after 5-10 min I go out and all side windows are fogged over.
- Have to change from windshield air to face and turn the blowers to point at the front side windows to defog them. (the small angled vents on the dash don't cut it this year for some reason)
- Back passenger windows will not un-fog at all.

I'm constantly changing the direction my air is flowing from to deal with freezing/fogging windows. I've always just left it on the windshield blower or windshield/footwell blower settings in the winter and all windows would be clear. I would like to know what could possibly cause these problems now? I understand that temperature settings will sometimes need to be adjusted to deal with fogging issues, such as a warm day and the air conditioning is set to highest cold setting. The air would need to be at a warmer setting to remove the fog, or vice versa. But this is weird.

Anyone else have these issues or know what could be the cause of this?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Kick on the a/c button.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kick on the a/c button.
Will that engage if the heater is all the way to hot? And just out of curiousity, why would I need to do that?

Thanks Bruce for the tip.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
It kicks in the compresser, to get the moister out of the air.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
For some reason the foci has a button to kick on the a/c vs other cars when you turn on the defrost it engages the compressor to quickley defrost the windows vs w/o the a/c compressor.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Dampness in the car & extra cold outside makes it worse.

I've had frost on the INSIDE after parking it already this season.

Keeping the floor as dry as possible helps, like kicking snow off the feet after sitting down before bringing them inside (and brushing off any elsewhere).

When it's that humid inside, cracking a side window for extra airflow (heater to interior & out) can help dry the car. It's usually not that bad with just a driver, but with passengers it's almost unavoidable (small crack at each window gets too breezy).

Obviously make sure it isn't on recirc., and check the passenger side floor in case any water is getting in through the air intake & dripping down.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot Bruce! Will do!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Did they change it for '05 Bruce?

Mine goes to automatic A/C at a defrost setting.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dampness in the car & extra cold outside makes it worse.

I've had frost on the INSIDE after parking it already this season.

Keeping the floor as dry as possible helps, like kicking snow off the feet after sitting down before bringing them inside (and brushing off any elsewhere).

When it's that humid inside, cracking a side window for extra airflow (heater to interior & out) can help dry the car. It's usually not that bad with just a driver, but with passengers it's almost unavoidable (small crack at each window gets too breezy).

Obviously make sure it isn't on recirc., and check the passenger side floor in case any water is getting in through the air intake & dripping down.
Thanks sailor for the tips. I try my best to kick off whatever I can when in there as I'm usually in the car alone on the weekdays. And I don't see any fluid on the passenger side which is good (obviously for numerous reasons). I'll kick that button on as soon as I am leaving work!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
I agree with felix on that one. He has the same model as you as well, not that that matters...

Have you recently cleaned the inside of your windows? making it more adept to fogging up? (don't know if this is true or not, just an idea)

Are you getting the same amount of air flow as what you were in the past? Heater as warm as what it has been?

Is it just colder this year? One more year of age on the car.

These are just my .02.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,111 Posts
and agree with Sailor as well, wow I feel like him now...Post an answer and see that someone already answered...

I always kick the snow off my feet before getting in the car..sometimes it fogs up, I don't mind though, extra privacy haha

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with felix on that one. He has the same model as you as well, not that that matters...

Have you recently cleaned the inside of your windows? making it more adept to fogging up? (don't know if this is true or not, just an idea)

Are you getting the same amount of air flow as what you were in the past? Heater as warm as what it has been?

Is it just colder this year? One more year of age on the car.

These are just my .02.
Last year got worse I believe. By worse, below zero in my location where cars were having difficulty starting. Mine still chugged along and heated fine. I haven't cleaned the inside of my windows since mid to late fall with normal windex. I can truly think back now and remember that the a/c light being out. So I know it's not engaged or turned on. The worst thing I can do is try it out when I leave and provide feedback tomorrow after my drive back into work.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but in our charter buses we always run the heat with the A/C on because it dehumidifies the air. You won't hurt anything by running the system on hot with the compressor cutting in and out. As soon as a driver tries to run pure heat, all the windows fog over. That's 55 mouth breathers not counting the driver, sure doesn't take long.

Toby

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but in our charter buses we always run the heat with the A/C on because it dehumidifies the air. You won't hurt anything by running the system on hot with the compressor cutting in and out. As soon as a driver tries to run pure heat, all the windows fog over. That's 55 mouth breathers not counting the driver, sure doesn't take long.

Toby
This^^^^^^^ I see that sometimes w/ some people driving= not knowing how to turn on the defrost/ac. Seems like quite a few camry's around.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That's because they are trying to get better MPGs. My 07 activates the compressor when I select the defrost option. Once weather gets warmer I'm gonna pull the radio panel and unplug the wires that turn it on automatically so that I can choose when it's running.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Much better drive in today with the a/c on. Thanks for the tip! I'm an idiot!!!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Much better drive in today with the a/c on. Thanks for the tip! I'm an idiot!!!
Great you figured it out,,,,, we're all here to learn!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts