Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago I was driving home from work.
Noticed a significant drop in power from the engine.
Power came back, but within a minute car over heated pulled off into a parking lot. Tried to fill it with coolant had trouble starting her back up without giving her gas. When she did start up coolant every where. Had her towed home.

Cut to today.
Working on the car then noticed the lower hose on the radiator was not connected. Obviously that's where my coolant leak is.
Right now I'm trying to figure out what could possibly cause enough pressure to pop that hose off. (Thermostat not open or worse?)

I know that this is the same hose position that a few years ago burst on the same car.
I'm trying to figure out potentials and wondering if any one else has had any issues with this car.

2008 Focus
159k miles.
2.0L

Any ideas would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
16,182 Posts
The UPPER hose to rad is the one that breaks, the pressure is mainly on it, the lower one tends to not break as it is closer to being under suction to a degree.

ANY of them can burst though if you don't change them with some sort of regularity. Like 75K-100K changes. They will last longer than that but driving them until they burst and even more if the engine is hard to start after doing it is a real silly maintenance method as doing that can easily and often does cause 10X the money in damage. How many of the cars end up in the scrapyards.

The idea is to change the hoses BEFORE they blow out. OP has already started the process, I bet that tow wasn't cheap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts