Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if using higher octane gas compared to regular really makes that much of a differance. Regular gas is expensive enough, but if higher octane is better and makes a performance differance, then I'll start using it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
premiun gas just lets your motor run with more advanced timing, so yes it does make a little more horsepower. the only thin the higher octane really does is keep your motor from knocking. but if you don't need high octane due to higher compression, nitrous, turbo, superchager, then there is no need for it unless you want to spend the extra money on it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i would only use like 92 for nitrous, which i am getting very soon!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I hear that the additaves (sp) that boost the octane can cause the valves to stick so you should prolly use the lowest that you can get away with

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I hear that if you do not have to run high octane in your car don't, becuse it will hert your engine.thats just what i hear.Don't know for sure.Focaltec a little help if you know anything about this please.

·
Registered
56 Posts
the higher the octane rating on gas, the longer it takes to burn. thats why it reduces knocking and that is why you MUST tune your car to it. only use the recommended gas. for an SVT use 91 or 93 where i live. and use 87 or 89 on a stocker... i think howstuffworks.com has a good explaination of octane... hope this helps...

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
The higher octane will not hurt your engine, as others have said above, there is just no need to run it if you have not modified your car to need it. Basically just wasting money, and the zetec was built to run on 87.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I read an article on this stuff, the higher the octane the harder it is to burn thus makeing it harder to detonate. So it would be wise to use high octane in more advanced engines or modified ones... like turbos, NO2, supercharged, and even engines that have their timing advanced. Mostly in engines where early detonation is a prominant concern. If its a stock Foci the lowest is just fine. As said before you're wasting money if its stock.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you have a chip, do you have to use it? I read on the diablochip site that it was recommended to use higher octane with the chip.

·
Registered
525 Posts
the octane number refers to the composition of the gasoline you are buying. Gasoline is composed of molecules of carbon and hydrogen. The larger the carbon chains, the more resistant the fuel is to knocking, or detonation. Octane refers to the number 8 (like octagon - think stop sign). So gasoline contains chains of 8 carbons bonded together. 87 octane means that 87% of the gasoline mixture contains these 8 long carbon chains...92 would have 92% 8 long carbon chains. Then remaining molecules in the mixture contains smaller carbon chains.

The zetec has been tuned to run best on regular gas. It will not run better with higher octane gas, in fact its performance will decrease if you buy more expensive gas. But as everyone else said certain mods will require an upgrade in gas. These are mods that increase compression, such as higher compression ratio (this could happen by changing pistons, connecting rods, crankshaft, or head) or forced induction. Adjusting spark may also require a higher octane fuel.

But if you have a stock zetec, you better be putting regular fuel in it.

·
Boosted
2,814 Posts
i use plus, but it's only 88 octane, so it should work well enough-illinizx3 nailed it on the nose

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hmph, Ive been using plus (89 octane) for about 3months now.. is this pointless to do? and will it actually perform better using regular (87 octane)? It only costs about a dollar extra but if this is actually slowing my car then I might as well go back to regular..

Thanks, Shawn

·
Registered
245 Posts
shaneZx3 said:
I hear that the additaves (sp) that boost the octane can cause the valves to stick so you should prolly use the lowest that you can get away with
Not so much higher additives in general for higher octane as higher lead for higher octane. Leave the high octane for engines that need it.

·
Registered
697 Posts
get some good ol' octane NOZ booster from wal-mart, seen it when picking up the woman a pink steering wheel cover for her car LOL

·
Registered
525 Posts
XxDRIVERxX said:
Hmph, Ive been using plus (89 octane) for about 3months now.. is this pointless to do? and will it actually perform better using regular (87 octane)? It only costs about a dollar extra but if this is actually slowing my car then I might as well go back to regular..

Thanks, Shawn
Its not necessarily slowing your car down...BUT it definitely is not doing anything beneficial to your car. You're wasting your money...start buying regular...

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info everyone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts