Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to run 89 or even 91 octane in the SPI? i bought premium (89) and didnt even realize if is was dangerous

·
Registered
504 Posts
I thinkt he only way you can damage your engine is if you run an octane lower than your minimum octane level.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, higher octane isn't going to affect anything. And absent a good tune, a car isn't going to be able to take advantage of it.

·
ELVIS LIVES !
2,553 Posts
Yes indeed with the spi motor with premium will run real nice. You should see a little better gas milage with it also.

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Its not dangerous, but you won't really see any advantages from it. You're just throwing money away.
Now if your car is tuned the tuner can advance the timing to take advantage of higher octane.
But if you do that, then you have to run high octane all the time. Its up to the owner of the car.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
it's debatable, but why bother with the risk. People have told me that regularly running higher octane (on a 87 vehicle) can lead to problems and others say its fine. It's all about energy density, a higher octane will not add more oxygen or hydrocarbon. In short no more power, the only power is from a higher compression that requires higher octane.

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the info, i didnt expect much of an advantage. When i first got the car added fuel cleaner and then the next time would be octane booster. and i could feel better throttle response but that was it. I'm looking for a tune! hehe $2.50 a gal i cna afford it YEAH!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts