Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was thinking the other day (scary) but when i got my tune from wanye he told me on 93 oct he sees a 14 whp gain instead of 91 oct. and 93 was the minimum oct you can use. so if i were to use 93 oct and use some of that 110 oct boost would i see and even greated gain in hp. like say i went to the track and threw a bottle in would it maybe help a little?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There is NO WAY a tune is going to make that much power with what few mods you have.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
octane booster is worthless. just throw 5 bucks on the ground and light it on fire and youll be ahead

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Don't put anything in your car from Wal-Mart besides oil and windshield wiper fluid. All those "power booster" gimmicks are crap.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
octane booster is worthless. just throw 5 bucks on the ground and light it on fire and youll be ahead
There's been tests that prove that some octane boosters work better than others.
The octane rating of your current gas in the tank also has an effect on the booster.
I have tried plenty myself and have found that the NOS offroad formula actually works.

How do I know it works you say ?

I have a J&S and it monitors knock.
When I add the NOS offroad formula octane booster, I see virtually no knock whereas without it, I see knock periodically more often when I WOT.

I was disappointed in the Lucus octane booster because it did nothing and it's $9.99 a bottle.

I have experimented with just about all the off the shelf octane boosters and the NOS offroad forumula is the only one that seems to work.

Now, that stuff costs about $8 a bottle but lucky for me, I found a store that sells them for $3 but they only get them in stock once a month and sell out quickly.
I now clear them out when they get them in stock.
It's cheaper than paying $6 a gallon for race gas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
why not just go buy race gas???..... sounds like an idea, the citgo down the street from me has 115 octane on one pump

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
crap how much is that like $5 a gallon lol. see i got to race and svt here very soon and i know i can beat him in the 1/4 but i just need a little edge so its not to close lol

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
microtonal said:
There's been tests that prove that some octane boosters work better than others.
The octane rating of your current gas in the tank also has an effect on the booster.
I have tried plenty myself and have found that the NOS offroad formula actually works.

How do I know it works you say ?

I have a J&S and it monitors knock.
When I add the NOS offroad formula octane booster, I see virtually no knock whereas without it, I see knock periodically more often when I WOT.

I was disappointed in the Lucus octane booster because it did nothing and it's $9.99 a bottle.

I have experimented with just about all the off the shelf octane boosters and the NOS offroad forumula is the only one that seems to work.

Now, that stuff costs about $8 a bottle but lucky for me, I found a store that sells them for $3 but they only get them in stock once a month and sell out quickly.
I now clear them out when they get them in stock.
It's cheaper than paying $6 a gallon for race gas.
so your spending 8 dollars a bottle.

high test gas is about 30 cents more a gallone

a focus gastank is about 12 gallons

.3x12 = 3.60

3 =!!!??? = 3.60 why not just go for high test man and spend 60 extra cents instead of having to having a constant supply of octane booster

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
best gas i can get here is 92 octane, so the Nos octane boost is right up my alley

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
wickedgreyzx3 said:
so your spending 8 dollars a bottle.

high test gas is about 30 cents more a gallone

a focus gastank is about 12 gallons

.3x12 = 3.60

3 =!!!??? = 3.60 why not just go for high test man and spend 60 extra cents instead of having to having a constant supply of octane booster
I can only get race gas at the track, which is 50 miles round trip for me.
I fuel up on the weekends and the traffic is not so good up here on the weekends or weekdays.

If I could, I would get race gas but the travel and headache of dealing with traffic would drive me insane if I did it every week.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Oh, and I live close to Boeing field and tried to buy some jet fuel from the private jet area and no go there either.

·
Registered
108 Posts
please tell me that most if not all of these answers are joking, when i was a weeeeee young pup i remember my dad making fun of people for putting octane boost in there vehicles, it is the same now, a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]*ing scam.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
what kind of tune are you runinng that you need race gas. around here sunoco 94 is very common.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
You can't crank enough timing into a tune to justify the use of race gas.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords did a test three or 4 years ago with a blower and a knock sensor and the monitored when the sensor activated. They started with 87 octane and went up, each grade using octane booster and then the next grade of gas, all the way up to race fuel.

MOST of the octane boosters you buy ( 2-4 bucks ) are almost worthless, the whole bottle may take you from 92 oct. to 93 oct. There are a few pricey ones ( about 10 bucks ) that actually race the octane several points.

If you really need high octane you can mix race fuel with premium gas to get what you need. Its not as good as fuel, but if you need 95 or 96 octane. Some VP 110 mixed 50/50 with 93 will get you in the high 90's and accomplish what you need for 3-4 dollars a gallon instead of $8.. I have two motorcycles that require 96 and one that requires straight fuel. The two bikes that need 96 live on a mixture of gas and fuel, its not ideal, but it does work.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
to the op. you should upgrade your injectors to be capable of using E85, i hear the octane is fairly high on it

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
don't even think about using e85 in a duratec.

you will eat all of the plastic parts in the entire fuel system

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
no not thousands of dollars. if it cost thousands of dollars car companies wouldn't be making them. oh well no arguing with someone who doesn't want to see another point of view.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That's from the factory. You would have to redo the entire fuel system of the focus.
You'd need: fuel cell, special fuel pump, special injectors, special fuel line, new totally custom tune, etc

1 - 20 of 31 Posts