Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i live in a town where the best gas i can get is 90 octane. I have drive 30 miles to get 91. sometimes i dont have a choice but to put 90, so i also add a bottle of octane boost. supposed to add 1-2 octane. Do these really work ? any suggestions on which is better than the other ?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Seems like a lot of people think they are gimmicks but I remember I used it in my 944 (has 10.9:1 compression) and it definitely made a difference. I didn't think it would but it did pull stronger than before.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Thats 1-2 POINTS of octane, it takes 10 points to make 1 full octane.

Its cheaper and better to just get the good stuff.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i would have to put in like 5 bottles to get 90 octane up to 91 ??

beleive me orange, if i could just buy 93 i would. 90 is the best there is in this whole town.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I only use them to clean the system occasionally...i think sport compact car mag proved NOS formula to be the best but its like $10 a bottle so its not really worth it.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i only use it when i have to fill up in my hometown, so 10 bucks would be worth it to keep my engine happy. Im in lubbock 5 days a week, and i can get 91 there.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Email wayne and talk to him about the situation he can probably hook you up with a 91 tune, his tunes I think are for 93 only.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I run 89 in my car all the time , every fill unless im taking a trip to the mountians

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^ohh man, thats a NO NO. i wouldn't continue to do that. stock tune requires at least 91 or you can do some serious damage to the engine bro.

·
Registered
411 Posts
^^LOL. No it wont. As long as hes driving conservatively and not flooring it all the time it'll be fine. The compression ratio isn't that high in our cars. If he has a new aftermarket tune then I wouldn't run anything at all except premium though. I think the Car makers have some sort of deal with the gas companies or something always recommending Premium fuel "only" its never the middle grade have you noticed that. Always either regular unleaded or Premium.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Yes I have noticed that too with the middle grades. And I have run my SVt on 89 before and noticed a tiny bit of a difference. I always use 93 just for insurance, and now I have a tune from Wayne.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You are wrong.

The SVT Focus IS a premium fuel engine, due to the agressive factory tune. I have seen MANY of the base timing tables used in our cars.... there is a reason for the 91+ octane.

You "can" run 89 IF you have to once in a while... but running it every day is VERY hard on the engine...... especially if you live in either a HOT or DRY climate.

·
Registered
607 Posts
terrasmak said:
I run 89 in my car all the time , every fill unless im taking a trip to the mountians
[V] poor car... I wont' preach to you as its already made very clear what you should be using.

I really hope you were joking though

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
terrasmak said:
89 is only like $.10 cheaper a gallon than premium...Only a dollar or so more a fill up is worth it to me to save the potentail damage done to the engine.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yeah. the extra money saved isn't much really compared to the cost of engine problems in the future. You bought a tuned car, you're going to need to run the recommened fuel, even if that means paying the extra dollar every time. I run 94 in mine all the time.

·
Registered
411 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
You are wrong.

The SVT Focus IS a premium fuel engine, due to the agressive factory tune. I have seen MANY of the base timing tables used in our cars.... there is a reason for the 91+ octane.

You "can" run 89 IF you have to once in a while... but running it every day is VERY hard on the engine...... especially if you live in either a HOT or DRY climate.
Meh...ok...agressive tune ehhh hmmm....

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SVT_BMXer said:
89 is only like $.10 cheaper a gallon than premium...Only a dollar or so more a fill up is worth it to me to save the potentail damage done to the engine.

werd

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The focus SVT is tuned from the factory for a higher octane fuel. No deal with any fuel companies for that reason, but Ford does "recommend use of BP fuel." You can find that on most of our new cars on the gas cap.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Actually before i started to do that i called my friend at ford , he works in R&D and special projects. Well with him working on the project that year and him knowing more about these cars , i trust him a lot when he said there wont be any adverse effects in running 89 in it .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts