Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still love my car, usually drive it in "D" mode, but at times use the "S" mode. My "s" mode does not like to downshift, there will be times I'm going from 50 to a stop that it really revs the RPM's at like 4K or so, but no big deal. There have been 2 times I've gone from coasting to starting back up that it just didn't engage a gear, like it was stuck in neutral... i had to almost completely stop then when I stepped on the gas again it finally engaged the gear and started up... not sure whats up or if I should get these looked at (not sure how to necessarily reproduce the failure to engage a gear issue) or just keep driving it in "D" only (and I just turned over 1500miles yesterday, which was the second time I got the issue, but probably have done like 200 of those miles in "S" and the rest in "D"). Anyone else have this issue or noticed anything like I have been in "S" mode?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Can't speak for too much myself, because I've only had it is "S" mode for a real short drive. Since the car is still in break-in mode I'm not going to fiddle with it too much. I'm afraid to use it haha in fear something will happen lol. BUT I did have an incident where I let off to a light, stopped, and then when the light went green, it just revved right up and didn't engage a gear. Let it rest back down, it engaged, then everything was fine (in auto). Only time it's ever done that. Only 1250 miles on my car, too.

Posted via iPhone 4S

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
thedrjojo, when was your build date?

·
Registered
211 Posts
doesnt downshift or doesnt upshift? a lil confused by where you're going with that.

I took my car out Friday and really leaned on it in S and when you hit the brakes it downshifts getting the car into the lowest gear for the speed you're at, and the engine into the powerband so that when you get back on the gas she's ready to go, it will upshift when the revs reach the top of that gear

·
Registered
468 Posts
Can't speak for too much myself, because I've only had it is "S" mode for a real short drive. Since the car is still in break-in mode I'm not going to fiddle with it too much. I'm afraid to use it haha in fear something will happen lol. BUT I did have an incident where I let off to a light, stopped, and then when the light went green, it just revved right up and didn't engage a gear. Let it rest back down, it engaged, then everything was fine (in auto). Only time it's ever done that. Only 1250 miles on my car, too.

Posted via iPhone 4S
I had a similar incident today (700 miles on the car). Driving on a surface street a car stopped half in my lane ahead, I slowed to let the traffic in the right lane pass and when I started to accelerate into the right lane to go around the woman, about 20 mph, the car momentarily reved up as if it had just shifted into neutral, then settled back down and drove properly.[scratch]

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a similar incident today (700 miles on the car). Driving on a surface street a car stopped half in my lane ahead, I slowed to let the traffic in the right lane pass and when I started to accelerate into the right lane to go around the woman, about 20 mph, the car momentarily reved up as if it had just shifted into neutral, then settled back down and drove properly.[scratch]
I often drive in S mode out to the main road from my house - 1 mile of steep down-hill dirt then six lovely miles of curvy tree-lined, creek-side pleasure! I've only had smooth as silk shifting from my October 2012 SEL in S mode. I don't rev her all the way to red but often shift around 5k.[driving]

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's Okay, no worries. Once you get used to the duel clutch, fun fun. When you're in S mode you are supposed to be shifting. It only shifts for u for safety reasons.

·
Registered
468 Posts
This was in D, BTW.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The "S" automatic mode (meaning you put it into S without touching the gear select buttons) essentially changes the shift mapping to be more aggressive. It'll hang on to gears longer in almost all cases, but it will also be more willing to engine break when you slow down as well (such as when you're going downhill).

For regular urban environments, I keep it on D to save fuel. I pop it into S whenever I i'm going uphill or downhill, or when I just want some more aggression from the shifting. NOTE: If you select your own gears in S mode, the car WILL allow you to redline - it will not correct your crappy shifting like most Sport modes. To take it out of the manual Sport mode, just pop up to D and pop back down to S.

In any event, the issues you describe in the OP seem to be more reliant on the actual transmission rather than the shift mapping. There is a TSB to fix the hesitations that you describe (unless you're only experiencing this in S mode).

Hope I helped :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doesnt downshift or doesnt upshift? a lil confused by where you're going with that.

I took my car out Friday and really leaned on it in S and when you hit the brakes it downshifts getting the car into the lowest gear for the speed you're at, and the engine into the powerband so that when you get back on the gas she's ready to go, it will upshift when the revs reach the top of that gear
this makes sense and why I just mentioned that part as a pecularity and not necessarily something wrong with the car itself...

To pranton, don't recall the exact build date, but it was some time in September...

The issues I brought up only occur in S mode, which I rarely use... it seems atleast one person (flingwing) had the same thing occur...

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's Okay, no worries. Once you get used to the duel clutch, fun fun. When you're in S mode you are supposed to be shifting. It only shifts for u for safety reasons.
You are thinking of Manual mode when it only shifts for safety reasons ... in Sport mode it expects to shift itself but just at higher RPM's and will apply engine braking by downshifting itself especially if you hit the brakes it does this immediately.

The problem that thedrjojo [OP] is having has been described in other threads and seems to be a rare occurrence but still an issue. Read the DCT/ powershift TSB update thread and some people mentioned this same thing there I think and there should be other threads too with this issue mentioned.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts