Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that do not know, occam's razor states a simple theory, that the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

Many know that for months I have been having trouble with my rear tires tilting in towards the car at the top, causing me to go through a set of tires in a month. I hadn't had money for a while and had been looking through solutions, had gone and looked underneath about once a week for anything broken or loose, and finally got the money ready for checking the springs and shocks and found out the probable cause...

Not one person suggested the same thing and no one thought of this...

I pulled the tires off (the start of my problems, the bolts were stubborn and needed a four foot breaker bar to get off). Now that's not normal, but I carried on, I've had vehicles with aluminum rims so having seized bolts was normal to me. I pull off the struts in the back, both in very good shape. Can't get my spring compressor into the springs, though I can tell they still have strength in them, though not a hundred percent still good...

I give up for the night, and go to put the tires back on, and the lug nuts go about a third the way on and get stuck, so pull everything off, and lo and behold, ALL of the bolts, have warped threads (though VERY slightly) which when I got to that point finally putting everything on, it took a LOT of force to get the nut past there and then it spun freely to snug. I believe that most of the shops its been in to get new tires put on just torqued it, and when it hit that point, stopped, not realizing they hadn't put the tires on properly, time and time again. So going out right now to get new lug nuts and bolts, comes to about $4 each and doing all 8 on the rear, so a mere $32 compared to full new suspension, which will be happening in a few months.

In conclusion, wheels sitting wrong, simplest solution = wheels not on correctly.....
The correct solution....
Now going to fix and let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
if they were'nt on all the way you would hear it for sure and I would think it would snap right off at some point. I see ALOT of focus with bad rear camber. a little is okay. any photo's?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I could hear something in the back, but it sounded like the springs were just dead, remembered that sound from my old car (cavalier) and it sounded as though the car was bottoming out on bumps, and then vibrating back to a level where driving was normal.

I to am surprised they never broke which is why I've bought new ones, after tightening them past that initial "sticky" point which needed a breaker bar, then torquing them on normally the tires have been standing properly, and have not moved... "much" as I'm sure the bolts need to be replaced.

I've got 8 bolts and 10 nuts as I know you'll wear out nuts putting the bolts on properly...

There is a picture, it was just before winter, but thats how they've been...
I'll be getting it lifted and them changed tomorrow.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well new bolts and nuts in now and sitting pretty, will try to get pictures, F#($ some of them bolts were in bad shape same with the nuts I'll try to post some pictures.... Thank you out of town service........

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh indeed there was, well here is how she sits now...

Here is the difference in quality/condition between the old bolts and the new ones...

Here is a typical bolt missing threads and a typical nut missing threads...
Makes you wonder how it was even holding the tires on...

Though now that it's done, it wasn't without its blood sweat and tears.... literally on the blood...

·
Da fofo love remains
1,538 Posts
was it hard removing the studs? or fairly straight forward? does it just take a little umf?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I removed the spindle nut (yes I replaced them) and pulled the drum off, one came off easily, the other was stubborn. After that about 3-5 whacks with a small hammer and they came right out, I could do a simple writeup if wanted. After that its the opposite of getting them off, it was simple, just as you put it a 'little' umf, I was actually dripping with sweat from trying to get the new ones tightened in there properly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say the best time to do it (if you have rear drums like I do) is when your replacing your rear drums as you have to pull it off anyways. Might as well have everything new when you put it together.

·
Registered
374 Posts
For those that do not know, occam's razor states a simple theory, that the simplest solution is usually the correct one.
Most Focus with 100K or more are going to have weak springs and excess neg camber espec in the rear?

Simplest solution?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/front-coil-spring-booster/p2031541.jcwx?filterid=j1

You should be able to get these for $7-8 each. So for $30 (one for each spring) you've at least improved things.

For the front springs you need to loosely wire them in by drilling 2 holes sideways in the rubber and use wire to hold them on the spring...for the back they will stay in OK. You put them BETWEEN the coils.

You end up with stiffer springs like with lowering springs...but with OEM ride height. Inexpensive and easy to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The springs were fine in the back, it was just the bolts for me, and I'm intending to do an SVT swap so will be getting new springs and struts so it won't be much of a problem after that.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The wheel nuts and studs did not cause that camber problem.

I had a set of loose nuts on a wheel where some fool (who shall remain nameless for personal reasons....[paranoid]) failed to tighten them down fully...you will know it if it happens.

On my Focus somebody had oversnugged a lugnut enough to strip the nut...so I replaced it. The stud was marginal though.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
The wheel nuts and studs did not cause that camber problem.

I had a set of loose nuts on a wheel where some fool (who shall remain nameless for personal reasons....[paranoid]) failed to tighten them down fully...you will know it if it happens.

On my Focus somebody had oversnugged a lugnut enough to strip the nut...so I replaced it. The stud was marginal though.
The photos of before and after are pretty conclusive, though.

It went from: / \
To: | |

It wouldn't be a stretch to think that the dampers springs are probably pretty shot, given the age, but the excessive camber looks to have clearly come from having lug nuts that didn't tighten the wheel all the way down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah most of the problem came from the nuts and bolts. I'm sure that a little more tlc and she'll be riding and sitting perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts