Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i got a 2001 zx3 and bought an obx short ram for it months ago, but when i tried to install it i came into a snag with the co2 detector in the stock air filter hose. i dont know if im jus supposed to let the thing sit there jus danglin or what. does anyone know how to install this thing? im stumped [???:)]

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
co2 detector? you mean the MAF? there should either be a place for you to unmount it and remount the sensor itself to the intake, or use the stock one w/ hose clamps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt see anywhere to remount it... i think i need an axe to bash it into my cylinder head. :) hey but if i use the clamps or just let it be... wont my engine light come on?

·
Registered
793 Posts
I dont think the OBX (being so cheap) supports the MAF sensor intall honestly, Ive seen a lot of the cheaper intake leave that out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe...yeah...funny...headers are tite...hehehe. but seriously if the intake doesn't support the maf, then why they make it in the first place and what do i do with the maf?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well a MAF is a small part of the intake system, on top sits a sensor which is black, if you look inside the MAF you will see a black thing hanging down. What it does is sensors the air coming through. The sensor is calibrated to work with the stock injectors. This is why the MAF and Sensor are important because they work with the fuel injectors. You can get a bigger MAF (70mm) and calibrated to bigger fuel injectors.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The MAF as mentioned is a sensor. It collects information and sends it to the main computer. By itself, its controls nothing. The signal it sends tells the computer how much air is traveling through the intake. The computer takes this information and adjusts the amount of fuel to maintain a pre determined air fuel mixture ratio. The MAF's info is also used by the computer to adjust the timing. You do not want to leave it hanging, its a critical operational component. Protect the fine exposed wires attached to the unit. These are the sensing devices. Bending or breaking these wires renders the sensor useless.

As mentioned many short or cold air intakes provide a new housing molded or welded into the pipe for the stock sensor (AEM). Several others relocate or use the stock sensor housing (MAC & Steeda). I'm guessing with your intake your suppose to use the existing MAF housing. Look at pictures of either of these intakes. My bet is this is what your install should like. Check myfordfocus.com for links to these manufactures.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Geezer is correct. Like my volant had a spot to re-mount the MAF into their design using the stock sensor housing.

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
ok after reading this again all i have to say is dont drink and mod, or hit the bong or whatever........

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL yeah this is below basics nobody should have to post this or you shouldent be working on cars in the first place, Its real easy.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey man if worst comes to worst, make a hole in your intake just big enough to squeez the MAF gaskets in snug a lil bit of jb weld and your set. keep in mind the airflow direction you know tha arrow on the MAF itself has to point to your throttle body.
while your making holes port your t/b you already have the jb weld handy or epoxy what ever your using. EVERY BODY HAS TO START SOMEWHERE!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts