Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently just purchased a obx header online, and I was wondering if my warranty void if I install it? I have MBRP exhaust that keeps the cat, i just wont have the one on the header. Am I illegal or legal?

·
Ehh...
6,265 Posts
as long as u have at least a cat somewhere along the exhuast system, then your good. so therefore your legal still. in other words, ur good to go replacing the headers

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
Well legal and warranty are two different things. I had my header on when i went in for service and they didnt say a thing. Maybe if you tried to get an o2 sensor replaced under warranty they would give you a hard time because of the header but it wont void anything unless they can prove the part caused it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I meant to ask both question but just worded it wrong. Thats what i was thinking. I can just convert it all back to stock anyways if i really needed too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i know this may be a dumb question but,

do the cats effect preformance?

And

Will shops install a header for you even if you have no cats? like will they say no?

thanks mason

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
The shop installing it will vary. Some might some might not.

Yeah cats to effect performance. By their nature they block exhaust flow. Not to mention if you have a header with a 2.5" collector, the stock cat, and a 2.5" exhaust the system will be choked by the cat and the stock smaller tubing connected to it.

The best way is to get a high flow cat with matching sized tubing. I read an article once in an import magazine where they dynoed a straight pipe vs a high flow cat. The high flow cat only gave up 1 HP or so in the dyno which you would never feel or notice. And a 1HP difference can happen from dyno to dyno anyway with exactly the same mods. So honestly your best option for keeping emissions standards with performance is a high flow cat.

Trubendz sells a kit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
thanks jet,

i was just mondering because i dont have a cat, and im buying a header soon! cant wait!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have the stock cat, I would like to replace with a high flo cat, any suggestions? I have the MBRP exhaust

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Most need to be welded on unfortunantly. You could always find an exhaust shop and just have them do it. Probably the easiest and cheapest way.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
thanks jet,

i was just mondering because i dont have a cat, and im buying a header soon! cant wait!
yes, u do have a cat...its the primary cat, thats on the header. depending on where u are, getting rid of them is illegal. id do what jet does, and get a HFC. if u have a sniff test, and no cat, u will fail. here, shops will not install an exhaust if there is no cat present. or a header, if no 2nd cat in the exhaust. the state levies fines to consumers up to 10,000, and up to 100,000 to shops if they install them with no cat.

so, understandably, they always say no. i had to prove that my header had a cat built in before they would install my borla.

·
Registered
150 Posts
yes, u do have a cat...its the primary cat, thats on the header. depending on where u are, getting rid of them is illegal. id do what jet does, and get a HFC. if u have a sniff test, and no cat, u will fail. here, shops will not install an exhaust if there is no cat present. or a header, if no 2nd cat in the exhaust. the state levies fines to consumers up to 10,000, and up to 100,000 to shops if they install them with no cat.

so, understandably, they always say no. i had to prove that my header had a cat built in before they would install my borla.

Sorry nem i meant i dont have one on the exhaust..

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
it is a federal offense to tamper with a catalytic converter, just find someone you know or talk to people who know to get it taken care of if your state is strict on emissions

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
so its federal, not just a state thing? i thot it was just cuz we are a green state.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On the OBX header witch o2 sensor would I use? Obviously there is only one plug. I dont plan to install untill my tune gets here but it would be good to know in advance. And is there a how to on here to wrap a header??

·
Registered
773 Posts
hmmmm i have the mbrp 2.25 inch exhaust #s4040 does that keep the second cat becuase i want to buy the obx header which will remove the cat so basiclly does my mbrp keep the second cat

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
by the looks of it im gunna say no...the mbrp comes with a resonator and a muffler
so what im saying if you got the obx header, you would be running catless

but if you have a shop around you, you could always buy a HI Flow cat have them cut out the resonator and replace it with the cat....

i think im at like 500 bucks between buying parts and having shops cut stuff out and weld stuff in, it sucks when you have a welder but no lift...id have a different exhaust every weekend if i had a lift

hopefully somebody with hands on experience with that system will chime in and give u a definite answer

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
hatches, we dont have emissions testing in FL, so remove all the cats. lol

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
lol oh man, why u even considering this then...sh!t i live in MA and i dont have cats lol, go for it man

1 - 20 of 31 Posts