Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kk i've been looking into stuff for my car any imput would be good
1)obx header- i heard it make your car ricey loud, fails emissions
2)sct xcal 3 with toms tune - voids warranty?

i already have a steeda CAI (SRI) and 2.25 mbrp exhaust

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You need to look into your local smog laws for the header. As for the tune you can always flash it back to stock, so it will not void your warrenty.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
I do like my OBX header, Does sound a bit ricey AT FIRST, but when it gets "broke in" it sounds great. I have an FS (stealth) exhaust as well. And as for Tom's tune, I kind of got one of those too. My expierance w/ Focus Power is not a good one (for customer service reasons). If your asking for my opinion, I would go to Randy at focus sport. I talked to him the other day and he was great on the phone. If you would like to know more please read my whole thread called "Dynos b-4 and after tune" that should explaine the whole thing.

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
+1 for the OBX. i hated it at first but now i like the sound. I have it hooked up to the 2.5" MBRP (has a resonator, yours doesnt) and i think itll be VERY loud and raspy without that res.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Well I have the Cosworth one and it just gets a little ricy in the upper rpms for a bit. Other than that I love it.

By the way the OBX is a copy of the Cosworth.

·
1,999 Posts
Well I have the Cosworth one and it just gets a little ricy in the upper rpms for a bit. Other than that I love it.

By the way the OBX is a copy of the Cosworth.
So is every other header out there..OBX,FS,F2 all copy Cosworth.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
F2 isnt a copy, thats their own design. Now FS just came out with their Cossie knock off probably because they saw the obx and the response to it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i weld up a resonator, will that quiet down the header?

·
Proudly Daily Driven
2,255 Posts
i dont think it sounds ricey at any rpm...then again i do have 2 mufflers...either way i like it especially cause of the price and from what i heard, at least with Mass all they do now with obdii cars they just plug in and make sure everything is clean and clear and you'll pass (then safty check too)...technically i shouldnt pass cause i dont have any cats :-o but i never got a CEL anyway but i still got the rear o2 bypassed from Randy at FS just in case

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Not sure about the resonator. I just have the stock cat and I need to change all that out with 2.5" piping with a high flow cat or a resonator.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
it is technically illegal nationwide because it is illegal to tamper with a catalytic converter however technicalities don't mean you'll ever get caught

personally i like the Focus-Power tune better, but i am biased because i have one...just heard a bunch of bad stories about the FS tunes, however none of those are the NA tune

and it depends on what exhaust you have as to whether you'll get a bumblebee with the header, mine doesn't ever however i have a lot more mods on the front end which i think has something to do with it, another kid i know has the HKS exhaust with it and it bumblebee's like crazy...

·
1,999 Posts
I have had and herd bad things from Focus Power. The customer service there is no bueno...but just my expieriance I'm sure some have had a good one some haven't...kinda reminds me of the E-bay STS....Hit and Miss!

·
Registered
12 Posts
so what I have read, none of these headers are California legal? What header would you guys recommend for a California car? Sorry, but I am new to hopping up a Focus. Ask me about a V-8 and I'll fry your brain. Is a PZEV 20E the same as a 2.0 Durtec?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea not sure about ontario, canada legal laws on headers

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Is a PZEV 20E the same as a 2.0 Durtec?
Yes, a PZEV is a Duratec. It's slightly different from the ones sold in most of the rest of the US, there's slightly less power in a PZEV but it passes the emissions standards of states like Cali. [PZEV - Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle.]

Be careful about ordering for it. Many intakes and such have issues with being bolted on to PZEV motors, 'cause of an extra vacuum line, I believe.

And headers are illegal everywhere in the US unless you're off-road. I think. But the only way they'll catch you is if you fail emissions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
There is no header that is legal in the state of CA. There are a lot of people on here running them and thats a chance that they are taking.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I can only speak for VA, but all they do here is make sure you have a cat, then hook you up with the tail pipe sniffer, and that's it. I don't think they give a shit nor are smart enough to tell your header is aftermarket. I had 3 inch headers to tail pipe with 3 inch HFC and when I was in line waiting for exh inspection, all the guy asked me was whether or not I had a cat. I passed with no issue whatsoever.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have had and herd bad things from Focus Power. The customer service there is no bueno...but just my expieriance I'm sure some have had a good one some haven't...kinda reminds me of the E-bay STS....Hit and Miss!
As far as the FS guys -- honestly I'm betting any of them would blow half the men in Cali for 1/10th the knowledge, experience, and skill that Tom has tuning these cars. Let's call a spade a spade. He's the F'n Steve Saleen of the Focus community. The "go to guy" when you need to know something, anything about this car. Plus, he has a mullet. So he's super-powerful.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts