Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sifted through numerous posts but have been unable to come up with a definitive answer to my question. I have an uninstalled obx header just sitting in my garage waiting to be DEI wrapped or installed naked.

The obx is made out of ss-304 stainless steel which apparently does a much better job of insulating heat unlike some other metals.

Can I install this naked without worry? or do I just wrap it?

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Mine isn't wrapped. However when I had the F2 on my car I did wrap that. It certainly lowered underhood temps a lot.

Your not going to notice a difference just because of steel type either. Its going to get just as hot.

You should be fine not wrapping it though. The OBX and FSwerks headers both clear the alternator with room to spare. The F2 is kinda tight.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Well they are sold that way (naked) to be installed as is, you can install it any way you want! If you have the money why not get it ceramic coated?
just a thought. Naked, DEI Wrapped or coated.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
Im no expert but you already have a hot exhaust in there and the cast iron manifold will radiate heat a lot longer then a header after you turn the car off.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My OBX has been unwrapped for over a year now with no issues at all. Just last week I went searching under the hood specifically for any issues the header might be causing due to heat and there were absolutely no problems at all to speak of. Save your time and install it unwrapped.

·
Registered
770 Posts
^ exactly this. Ive had mine on for the same amount of time with zero under the hood issues bc of it. And I like to see the color of it too haha.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
took it to a reputable exhaust shop and they owner said don't wrap it. Its better to make a custom heat shield for it. What does everyone think of that idea?

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
A good reason to wrap the headers is the extra insulation helps the exhaust exit faster.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
mine have been wrapped for a few years now (damn!)

no worries here, much less heat but its up to you

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
When i drilled mine, mine seems pretty thin. Ide rather wrap it and help protect it from the elements as long as possible.

I bought wrap and the gray wrap paint that im planning to spray over the wrap to hopefully help keep it looking better longer.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I got the bung welded in today and started wrapping mine. I think ill install it next week its supose to cool down next week around here.

I only bought 15' of wrap and that only wrapped 2 pipes. I ordered another 2" 50' roll hope i get it tuesday so i can finish it.

After i got the second bung welded in, the factory welding is really some quality stuff. The muffler guy who welded the bung on did a poor sloppy job IMO.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the bung welded in today and started wrapping mine. I think ill install it next week its supose to cool down next week around here.

I only bought 15' of wrap and that only wrapped 2 pipes. I ordered another 2" 50' roll hope i get it tuesday so i can finish it.

After i got the second bung welded in, the factory welding is really some quality stuff. The muffler guy who welded the bung on did a poor sloppy job IMO.
lol, my muffler guy broke his bit trying to drill through the obx header. It is a really thick header and surprisingly is cooler than the stock manifold with the heat shield. I dont think that I will wrap it or do anything else to it. Looking back at everything, I dont even think I should have contemplated wrapping it. I had so many different owners and managers from local race shops tell me that it is a thing of the past.

I will try and post pictures for all to see. [drinking]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
lol, my muffler guy broke his bit trying to drill through the obx header. It is a really thick header and surprisingly is cooler than the stock manifold with the heat shield. I dont think that I will wrap it or do anything else to it. Looking back at everything, I dont even think I should have contemplated wrapping it. I had so many different owners and managers from local race shops tell me that it is a thing of the past.

I will try and post pictures for all to see. [drinking]
Maybe a thing of the past on V8 engines but when you have an engine that has an alternator right in the back next to the exhaust and in a spot that is not well vented i think im going to do it.

On the duratec the exhaust is in the back so you cant even see it anyway so i dont even care what it looks like i just want it to last.

If these engines didnt already have alternator issues i wouldnt worry about it but #1. they are not an easy to replace part #2. not cheap #3. fail often for a reason? could it be the design? where its at? heat issues? who knows.

If wrapping helps cooling any at all its a gain IMO.

The engines in the past didnt run near as hot as these smaller engines either.

Im pretty cheap so if i could of saved the $60. ive already spent on the wrap stuff i would of if i didnt see any gain.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
lol, my muffler guy broke his bit trying to drill through the obx header. It is a really thick header and surprisingly is cooler than the stock manifold with the heat shield. [drinking]
I drilled mine with a universal stepped bit and used a hand drill.

He only charged me $10. to weld it in though. His drill press was broke so i drilled it and got it tight and hammered it in so all he had to do was clamp the header down and weld it pretty quick and easy.

I didnt put much thought into it before i jumped in and drilled it. I got it a little close to the flex pipe joint which i hope there are no issues with.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Well i just wrapped mine tonight. I bought a roll of 15' DEI titanium wrap and only got about 2 pipes covered. Then i woke up and got a 50' roll and finished it.

I think a 25' roll will be enough or 2 15' rolls i cut them into 7' strips it made it easier to wrap insted of messing with the whole roll.

This is some nasty stuff too. Its like messing with fiberglass, use gloves.

Then i used the DEI hi-temp silicone coating to seal all the wrap. I hope it helps it from slidding down maybe keep water out?

Im going to install it and the wideband tomorrow. Hope i dfont have any issues.[paranoid]

·
Registered
716 Posts
Looks just like mine did when I first installed it. I didn't paint mine though and now it's almost white.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I ordered a F/W's header, which is ceramic coated. Will I need to warp it or not? I have never wrapped header's on all my V/8 motor's. I know it suppose to retain the heat, so your exhaust savanges easier, & I like the look of a ceramic header better than wrap.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts