Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was looking on ebay and i found a bunch of shit from companies called OBX and JDM, now i know they are not the best but they are cheaper, and i want to make my car fast and keep it runnin good, but i dont want to invest boat loads of money cause ill be getting a new car in two years, probably and svt focus maybe or something i dunno yet. but my question is, are those companies really that good?? will they hold up in my car or not. like i said i know AEM and all the other name brands are better, but if they are a good design they should still work so has anyone ever tried those companies?? i might get there cam gears and underdrive pulleys.

THANK YOU!!!!
YellowJoe Fo

·
Registered
789 Posts
the one that says JDM is actually a yonaka motorsports exhaust and it is great. i have it on my car and it sounds awesome. here is a link to the company that sells them. http://lethaldynamics.com/fordexhaust.html

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
OBX is a good brand. I have their long tube header installed and have had
no problems. OBX header is good quality, about the same as Focus Sport.

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
just a few questions about the header (the long tube or 4-2-1)....

1) do i have to get a new cat???

2) im looking into buying a Borla and an OBX header... is there an order that it would be better to buy them in (i probably won't be able to wait long enough to get both) im worried since the Borla clamps on..... will the new header interfere????

thanks in advance...

·
Registered
789 Posts
1) depends if you get long tube or shorty. long tube=no. shorty=good idea to get a high flow(RT or OBX are good).

2)get the exhaust first then the headers/high flow. if you get the headers first it won't do anything due to the restriction that the stock exhaust would cause(bottlenecking). and no the new header will not interfere. also you should get a larger flexpipe. they run about 100 bucks( http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BRO2481001.htm )

·
Registered
280 Posts
i have the obx 4-2-1 race header.. and i love it. i havent had any problems with it i loved the gains and quality of it, and i still have it on. just one thing, it does come with some crappy gaskets but those are cheat to replace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i agree with the crowd here. I just installed my obx 4-2-1 and i love it..... Don't like the sound (made mine sound really ricey), but the gains are definately worth the price or admission!

·
aka The Wizard
8,950 Posts
ahh... so the new header will work with the stock cat... ill just have to get a new flex (or at least i should) and then the cat-back will still be, well cat-back...
sounds good... any idea how much it would be to have it all installed???
i know i can get the header and the cat-back for $500 shipped with flex prolly $550....

·
Registered
280 Posts
jgodinez302 said:
i agree with the crowd here. I just installed my obx 4-2-1 and i love it..... Don't like the sound (made mine sound really ricey), but the gains are definately worth the price or admission!
what kind of catback do you have? because mine doesnt sound ricey at all..
i have the Apexi WorldSport catback. a little pricey but worth it.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
I <3 my ZX3 said:
ahh... so the new header will work with the stock cat... ill just have to get a new flex (or at least i should) and then the cat-back will still be, well cat-back...
sounds good... any idea how much it would be to have it all installed???
i know i can get the header and the cat-back for $500 shipped with flex prolly $550....
the only header that will work with the stock cat is the shorty DO NOT BUY A SHORTY HEADER, it will give you nothing in gains & is a waste of money, if you want to stay legal go with the svt header/high flow cat, if not go with the obx longtube, it eliminates the cat and bolts directly to the flex. if you have any wuestions shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i don't have a cat back sys yet, currently saving for that and the suspension..... but with just the long tube and stock exhaust (including flex) it makes mine sound a lot like a ricer. At least for the first few minutes, once it get's warmed up it sounds a little deeper. None the less really really LOUD!

·
Registered
14 Posts
i have the obx long tube header and the borla clamp on exhaust. i have never had any problem with either system. with just the borla muffler the sound is actually very quiet with a nice little grumble. but when you put that header on there and remove the cat. it gets loud as all hell. also. have fun getting the stock exhaust manifold off. it took a long time to remove the stock system but it was very quick to add the new stuff. if you like loud noise this is the way to go. also, when i did it i lost some bottom end power but gained fairly well in the top end. before the mod. it seemed like the power dropped off at around 5500 rpm and now it drops off at about 6500/6800 rpm and screams like the devil the whole way.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
OBX is good. I havent heard of the other one so I can't say. But from my expirience OBX is good.

·
Registered
789 Posts
my_red_zx3 said:
have fun getting the stock exhaust manifold off. it took a long time to remove the stock system

i didn't have a problem taking mine off. maybe 20 or 30 minutes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts