Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who has one??? I was wondering If I could meet up with someone who had one to scan my car for codes....Ive done a couple of things to fix it but the CEL is still there...it would be really helpful...thanks alot
-Jack

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess I am being lucky. I bought a Focus 4 days ago, and the engine light turned on today. It seems that idle works rough and car vibrates. I just get to know that in California it is illegal to read these codes for free, great law!

I was thinking on buying one. But I have seen this post and I was wondering if somebody would let me use their code reader to check my code.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
the obdII scanners cost like 60 bucks check out autozone and get yourself one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have seen a lot of different models, but I don't know which one should I buy. Ebay has some cheaper If I'm not mistaken.

Any advice on what to get? Why is there such a big price difference between some models if they do the same thing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
becuz some scanners just show you the code and others will tell you what the code means.

·
Registered
399 Posts
or you can go to autozone and scan your car for free. just leave your license with them while you go out and scan the car. just write down the codes though because the scanner they let you use doesnt explain the meaning of the code. there is a thread floating around somewhere that has the explanations for all the codes.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have called two autozones in San Diego today and they told me they don't scan cars anymore, are you completely sure it can be done?

Thanks for the information PumkinSvt. I will get a cheap one.

·
Turbo Freak
2,193 Posts
just put the money for a obdII towards a tuner then u can check the codes and have a tune

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Like someone posted earlier, go to advanced auto and "rent one" they can check it for ya too. Bring the code back here and ill tell you what it means.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
You can go to Autozone and you can use thiers for free. You just have to give them your license to borrow it. They show you what the code is and a brief description of what is going wrong.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yah autozone no longer does that...i was let down a couple months back haha...im just gonna invest in one soon...hmmmm might go on ebay right now haha

·
Registered
156 Posts
Right, As I said they don't do it anymore. In California is not legal to read your codes for free. I finally got my code reader from Ebay and it works good. I read a P0171 code, there is a lot of information about it in this forum, so I hope to be able to fix it.

Thanks all for your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts