Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 SVT Focus and I need to know what software and hardware I need to diagnose problems with my car using my laptop. I am not talking about reading and clearing codes, I need in-depth diagnostics and troubleshooting.

The problem I am having at the moment is the engine surging during normanl accelleration and at steady speed. What is strange is that after it has been running for a while, it seems to clear up. However, I can shut it off for a minute, start it back up, and it will surge again and then smooth out after a while.

I bought the SCT Excallibrater for my car back in early 2005 from Wayne at Hypnotic Illusions, it is the old black box. Anyway, I used the custom tune for a long time and had no problems untill 3 or 4 months ago with the surging. I am using the factory tune at this time because with the performance tune the surging is far worse and doesnt go away with time.

I have replaced both O2 sensors and cleaned my MAF sensor with MAF cleaner, which did not solve the problem.

Anyway, any help with this problem will be greatly appreciated and well as info about software and hardware needed for diagnostics on my laptop, hopefully inexpensive. Thank you in advance.

BTW, sometimes when I am driving at a steady speed after the car has been running for a while and the surging has smoothed out, it will feel like I am slowly letting back on the accellerator, however I am not. I will step further down on the gas and it will chug a bit before accellerating .... very strange feeling. This does not happen very often, however.

Jayson

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
If you have the xcal1 then it is no longer supported by SCT and it wouldnt datalog

The new xcal3 will datalog , load tunes and check and clear the CEL , If you buy a xcal from me 399.00 and 20.00 for shipping you get a custom tune , FREE updates as you add more NA mods AND I dont charge to look over your datalogs and help find issues

I can also take over your laptop set up the log list and do the first log just like I was sitting in the car with you

Tom

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I gottcha Tom, I am very familiar with you and your work, and you ROCK. I cannot afford that much money anymore. I used to do well, but thanks to the economy, I have to settle for crap pay at this time. That is why I am asking for a money saving alternative using my laptop to diagnose my problem. Any idaes what might be wrong from my discriptions? I need help.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I can help a Firefly fan.

Do you have any check engine lights?

Have you checked your air cleaner?

That sounds like an EGR issue to me since it clears up after a while, and is present at startup. Since you're low on money, you might want to remove the EGR, clean it and check that it's working. You shouldn't need a gasket, and that wouldn't cost you anything.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, not only that, you might remember me as a moderator on here in the past. Anyway, where is my EGR? Never thought about that.

My AF is clean and no CEL's ... had them in the past and fixed every one of them, now at a loss ... I cant afford to replace every sensor .. only MAF and TPS sensor to replace on my SVTF as far as I can tell.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
It's an SVT, there is no EGR.

I can't find what the XCalI looks like, but 2005 would sound like it should be a II:

and if that's the case then all you need is LiveLink from SCT's site --> Click to download

Then you just instal the program.
You'll need a USB cable to hook the Xcal to the computer, common for most printers (USB 1.0 IIRC).
You'll have to pick PIDs to log once it's installed. Pick Ford specif ones if possible.
Probably want to start with things like:
BORDERLINE_SPK
KNK_SEN_RETARD
LOAD
SPARK_ADVANCE
STFT_FINAL_B1
MAF_AD_COUNTS
TP_ABSOLUTE
THRT_MODE_FLAG
SPARK_SOURCE
FUEL_SOURCE

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, that is not it, it is "old school" if you will. Only LED lights, no LCD readout.
It is, I think, the original excallibrator. Just a plain old black box that cost me $365 at the time.

It connects to the PC via a serial port, not USB.

It has been a lon time since I have been here, and it is good to be back!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, I am thinking MAFS or maybe TPS ... what else am I missing? ... I can't afford to replace both and HOPE it fixes the problem.....I have other problrms to fix with this car as well in the mean time.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
You are in Houston there is a lot of guys there that have SCT XCAL , ask in the Tx forum and get me a datalog , I can help you from there

Tom

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will do that, Thank you for the tip and the offer for help, it is MUCH appreciated Tom!! BTW, want to swap SVTF's for a day? LOL Kidding of course.

Unrelated, off topic, I remember watching a vid of you racing your turbo SVTF on a road course and leaving Porche's in your dust back in 2005 or so. That was awesome! It was recorded by someone else following the pack and he identified your Blue SVYF and what I saw was VERY impressive!!

Jayson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts