Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got the code P0170 or p0171 can't remember... car is running lean due to o2 and MAF.. Is it simple to change that sensor? i thinking of doing it myself.. has any one changed there? any input will be appreicated.

thanks momo

·
Registered
461 Posts
dont believe it's too hard, go to advance auto parts and pick up a haynes manual for $10 & the o2 sensor should run you about $50 ballpark. I'll be changing mine sometime soon, as soon as I can get an NGK sensor (advance only has bosch & some of their products dont work too well for our cars)

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Need to make sure thats what the problem is first. Other things can cause that problem

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well that's true, my car has all the symptoms of bad o2.. power surgess, fuel economy (loss), the odor from the exhaust, lack of power. so i'm pretty certain that's what it is.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
FYI. I replaced my upstream O2 sensor with a Bosch from Autozone and it doesn't work as well as the OEM. The cars runs sluggish in cold weather until the sensor gets warmed up. My guess is the heater element in the sensor isn't heating very fast (or at all). Alternatively, I may have just gotten a bad sensor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you do it yourself? or did you take it somewhere?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I did it myself. It took about 10 minutes (not counting waiting for the manifold to cool down after I got home).

Unhook the connector, unscrew the sensor from the manifold, screw in the new sensor, hook up the connector, done !

·
Registered
461 Posts
maybe bosch just sucks in our cars in general then?

·
Registered
461 Posts
just to let everyone know >> our oxygen sensor from ngk is # 22060 and it is on sale and in stock at sparkplugs.com. $40 + S&H. Use code 'dodgetalk' for 10% discount. I'm waiting on mine being shipped tomorrow morning ... can't wait!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the information. I may want another one if I the Bosch does "the thing"^ when it is cold again.

·
I used to drive this
3,342 Posts
Focusnewb said:
I did it myself. It took about 10 minutes (not counting waiting for the manifold to cool down after I got home).

Unhook the connector, unscrew the sensor from the manifold, screw in the new sensor, hook up the connector, done !
I hope you used AntiSieze on the O2 sensor threads.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
^^

Most of the 02 sensors I buy come with antisieze on them. well I know the bosch ones and OE ones do.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
macdiesel said:
I hope you used AntiSieze on the O2 sensor threads.
I don't remember but if I didn't notice anti-sieze on the oem I probably wouldn't have thought of it.

Shouldn't be a problem, I have a big wrench.....

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Holy resurrected thread Batman !

But seriously, I just put in one of those NGK "oem identical" O2 sensors, $35 at sparkplugs.com. Works just as good as the $100+ Ford sensor and WAY better than the POS Bosch I tried earlier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts