Focus Fanatics Forum banner

O2 sensor crush washer

431 24
I moved my downstream O2 sensor to upstream for testing. But I may have created a small leak by reusing the crush washer. They don't slide off. You have to cut them. Not easy to replace.

I found some aluminum 18mm crush washers on Ebay but they don't look the same as the crush washer on the O2 sensor. They are one piece, while the O2 sensor washer has a two-piece folded appearance. I wonder if that matters. Or if aluminum can withstand the heat right above the cat.

What do you think?
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19,024 Posts
Look for Ford spark plugs from earlier years that were 18mm. plugs, the same size washer as the sensor uses. Try like big block Ford out of the late '60s or so, the 352-390 stuff. You may be able to tell as the boxes are bigger for the bigger plug.

·
Registered
19,024 Posts
Well, went to rock auto and all the 18mm. plugs have angle seats with no washers. Trying to remember where I got mine many years ago. Found this...........

Also NAPA shows a pair of non-fouler fittings that have steel washers for around $10ish.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found some 18 mm copper washers on Ebay, free shipping. Copper melting point of 1984 F should be safe. The only question is, do they fit right. Need to get some and see.

·
Registered
19,024 Posts
Add one more dead simple skill to the lack of them this guy has. Those washers commonly come off easily to be reused. Done it hundreds of times.

I bet I've reused some plug washers 10 times. Zero trouble. And those were 14, the bigger 18 even easier to get off.

The deform is crimped in before the washer goes on the plug or sensor, so how did they get them on????

People and non-existent problems..........

·
FF Affiliate
33,146 Posts
You never do so why start now , everyone that tries to help you can say White and you would argue its Black and come up with the craziest reasons why its Black when everyone tells you its White

Why even ask if your not going to take anyone's advice and in your mind already know the answer you want ... Might not be the right answer but its the one you want

Tom

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If not sales fishing, then you have no useful purpose here.

The question was not should I reuse a crush washer. I already know not to. The question was what kind and can aluminum take the heat.

You ignored the question and now make the thread about you. That's not the kind of salesman I would buy anything from.

·
Registered
19,024 Posts
You can't possibly know not to as that's incorrect.

WHO told you not to reuse them? You certainly have no expert there at all. I learned it from Champion spark plug racer reps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts