Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done the obligatory forum search, and although I've learned new things today, I just can't find the answer to my problem.

Just finished putting another engine in my 2005 ZX5. Everything was working beautifully when I started, besides the engine of course, but now I have a couple of issues I need some help with:

The new engine started right up, and after adjusting the fluids and such, everything seemed fine, except the radiator fans are constantly on. They turn on when the motor starts, and turn off when the motor is off. I'm confused as to why this would happen. It appears the pump is working fine, and the temperature gauge is well within its' range.

Also, the o/d light on my transmission is flashing yellow. The transmission has high miles, but the transmission was working great when I parked the car to change the engine. When I first test drove the car, it shifted hard into 2nd, then worked fine for about 3 miles, the whole time the o/d light was flashing yellow. At that point, the transmission shifted out of high, and went into the gear that has the engine doing around 3000rpm at 60mph. The transmission is shifting hard, but pulls good with no slipping, and won't go into o/d.

The car did sit for 5 weeks with the battery out of it, while I worked on it in my spare time (I have little free time to play with it, working 2 jobs and all) and I did have a little transmission fluid leakage from the passenger side drive axle while maneuvering the engine, but I replaced that.

Are there wires, or vacuum lines, going to the transmission I may have disconnected accidentally? Does the computer need "reset" somehow?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
148 Posts
A yellow flashing light on a Ford can mean lack of line pressure or TC lock up. Do you have a check engine light on? Also there are not any vacuum lines as this Trans is all electronic. You have a 4F27E transmission, very good Trans from 2005 to 2011. You said the car had sat around for a long time this could result in worn and dried up O-rings and or sticky solenoids in the valve body, even more likely depending on service use and maintenance. Check fluid level and color?

·
Registered
148 Posts
also for your rad fan issue, there is a sending unit for the rad fan’s make sure it is connected, Ford don’t really use real temp gauges, so sometimes they can be misleading.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A yellow flashing light on a Ford can mean lack of line pressure or TC lock up. Do you have a check engine light on? Also there are not any vacuum lines as this Trans is all electronic. You have a 4F27E transmission, very good Trans from 2005 to 2011. You said the car had sat around for a long time this could result in worn and dried up O-rings and or sticky solenoids in the valve body, even more likely depending on service use and maintenance. Check fluid level and color?
Thanks for the information. The check engine light (yellow) just came on this morning. I have found that the transmission works fine until it warms up, then starts doing it's "no o/d" thing. I guess I can't complain about it too much, it has 173,000 miles on it. The new engine 'only' 78,000 miles.

I have it scheduled for a fluid flush/filter change this week. Maybe that will clear it up. If not...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to Autozone, and got the codes from the check engine light today:

first one is P0715 - Transmission speed sensor circuit condition.
Vehicle speed above 15mph while output shaft speed below 60rpm.
probable cause: failed sensor or electrical problem.

second one is P0420 - Catalyst efficiency low-bank 1
probable cause: bad catalytic converter, large vacuum leak, or engine oil in exhaust.

Now, seeing that I didn't have any of these problems when I shut the car off to swap the engine, I'm betting I didn't connect something back up. There is one ground strap to the engine one one of the bell house bolts. It's connected and good. I don't remember pulling any others off. Is there another ground I'm missing?

·
Registered
17,309 Posts
Hey randalh, you really need to drop that. 4 threads now and exact same answer. You are really getting old.

And on a 4 year old thread as well..................

1 - 7 of 7 Posts