Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guru's, I got a good one. Have an 02 spi with auto trans. While driving the trans will shift itself out of overdrive and a few seconds to a few minuets later it will shift back into o/d. I've heard much talk about the "A" solenoid but no trouble codes come up to indicate a problem. This has happened about a year ago and took it to AAMCO. They could find no trouble codes either and at the time it remained in o/d as normal. the manager told me to try changing thr filter and fliud which I did and it worked great. So when it happened again that was the first thing I did but this time it didn't work. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes while driving it just goes out of overdrive. All other gears shift normal. Even when I park the car and turn off the engine and start it up again the o/d light on the dash stays on and when I drive it won't shift into o/d, and sometimes it will go off and shift into o/d by itself. Pushing the o/d button does nothing when this happens. Wondering if the o/d switch on the shifter is bad?

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
So your driving with the O/D Light on all the time?

Also you may have a short in the switch on the shifter that may be causing the OD to be switching on and off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there ktwelch, Thanks for the response! Well,yeah sort of. The problem only started about two days ago and what was happening was the o/d was just turning on and off by itself while going down the road. Told the wife to keep the speed down to NO MORE THAN 40 MPH! I didn't want to fry the tranny and the motor didn't sound to be pulling to hard at that speed. Today, I got in the car, turned the key and the o/d light was off. Pushed the button and the light would come on. Done that a couple times and it appeared to be working as it should. Took it out for a ride and had no problems what-so-ever. Think your right about the switch. Have a feeling the switch or wiring may be shorting out causing it. From what I've read so far if one of the solenoids or pcw's were bad a code would come up. Again thanks.

·
MyCarBreaksAlot
8,609 Posts
Yeah a solenoid malfunction will cause a code, and more often than not, slipping out of gear completely and then slamming back into gear once it grabs. I'd take a look at that switch.

You may want to get some rubbing alcohol and spray it down good first through the cracks, to clean up the switch and possibly prevent shorting without having to tear stuff apart.

·
FoFo Lover.
2,884 Posts
I think when you take it off it's time to do the "Cut down" atx shifter mod as well...

Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As being new to this forum, the "cut down" atx shifter mod?

Well, I really didn't feel like takin everything apart so I took Dcl2049's advice and got some spray cleaner(for electronics) and just went crazy with it all around the switch. Don't know how much actually got in there but I haven't had any trouble with it jumping out of o/d for the past two days. YEYYYYY!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Question,,,, I know this is an old post however I am experiencing the same issue. O/d keeps going on/off at random intervals. Car shifts into lower gear, o/d light goes off goes into higher gear at random. No codes, all gears shift smoothly, have changed transmission fluid and filter, have checked and changed gear shift to perfect working one..... still no luck !!! Any advice or ideas ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts