Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my car has the stock Alignment and i was wondering if anybody has good numbers that i can give to firestone to get this done and done right. thanks in advanced[drinking]

·
Registered
584 Posts
I get 4 wheel alignments done at Firestone all the time. Ask when their best alignment tech is there, and get an appointment with him if you want to call the specs. The lifetime alignment deal pays for itself if you use it twice. I have that so I can monkey with settings for autocross and keep adding new parts!
I'd say for starters get the camber set to stock, maximum caster allowed in stock specs, zero rear toe, and just a tiny bit of toe out in the front. Somewhere around -0.05in (toe in) each side. The trick is getting an appointment with the right guy, and writing what you want down. Talk to him (or her) before they start to make sure you're both on the same page. It will probably take a while but you WILL notice a difference.

Reactions: bdnld4482

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
front camber is not adustable

nor is caster

rear camber adjusts with the toe unless you have camber bolts.

so basically, zero front toe maybe a little in if you are a relaxed driver.

And actually we need just a bit of rear toe in. Ask for the minimum allowable "in spec" toe for the rear.

Reactions: bdnld4482

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
like i said before toe is the only thing that can be changed on our car anyway.

you have to add aftermarket parts to adjust camber in both front and rear.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
We have a chain of stores here called Brakes Plus. While I know each may differ depending on management, I have taken several cars in and asked for specific specs a number of times. Sometimes the manager has grumbled but they have done it each and every time. The last time was on my Miata where alignment is critical and everything is adjustable. The manager more or less disagreed and almost told me I didn't know what I was doing with my numbers but agreed to do it. The tech new exactly what i was doing and put each number request right on the money. He said he enjoyed doing it the right way! After the test ride he came back with a big sh_t eating grin on his face. Total cost 48.00 + a 10.00 buck tip to the tech for going out of his way.

Hint...take the car in when they're slow and no cars in the bays or on the rack. They won't be in such a hurry to flip you off. An hour or so before closing usually works well. An alignment on a focus only takes a half hour or so with most of it is devoted to setting up the mirrors and laser system. I'm hearing that many shops are hurting (really slow business) due to the current economic issues. Some wheeling and dealing may be possible.

·
Registered
584 Posts
oops. you're right. we do need adjustable bits in the front, but I defend my theory. I should stop posting during breaks at work, as they always seem rushed. -0.05 in each is the maximum toe for the front, and +0.08 in for the rear. That would still be a good starting point. When I got a proper "aggressive street" alignment, the results were nearly as much help as my springs and dampers. A little can go a long way here.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
like i said before toe is the only thing that can be changed on our car anyway.

you have to add aftermarket parts to adjust camber in both front and rear.
i meant dealers only do front toe sets as in a thrust angle alignment and don't touch the rear.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
We have a chain of stores here called Brakes Plus. While I know each may differ depending on management, I have taken several cars in and asked for specific specs a number of times. Sometimes the manager has grumbled but they have done it each and every time. The last time was on my Miata where alignment is critical and everything is adjustable. The manager more or less disagreed and almost told me I didn't know what I was doing with my numbers but agreed to do it. The tech new exactly what i was doing and put each number request right on the money. He said he enjoyed doing it the right way! After the test ride he came back with a big sh_t eating grin on his face. Total cost 48.00 + a 10.00 buck tip to the tech for going out of his way.

Hint...take the car in when they're slow and no cars in the bays or on the rack. They won't be in such a hurry to flip you off. An hour or so before closing usually works well. An alignment on a focus only takes a half hour or so with most of it is devoted to setting up the mirrors and laser system. I'm hearing that many shops are hurting (really slow business) due to the current economic issues. Some wheeling and dealing may be possible.
some people just adjust the heads to make it go in spec.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
some people just adjust the heads to make it go in spec.
I have heard of that before that's why I always go out and stand behind the car just outside the service bay and watch. But I've also been lucky and the techs that have done my work have integrity and take pride in their work.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all that helped out. rep for all, and if you dont get rep ,its prolly cause i have already givin it to ya befor.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oops. you're right. we do need adjustable bits in the front, but I defend my theory. I should stop posting during breaks at work, as they always seem rushed. -0.05 in each is the maximum toe for the front, and +0.08 in for the rear. That would still be a good starting point. When I got a proper "aggressive street" alignment, the results were nearly as much help as my springs and dampers. A little can go a long way here.
so if i go get the alignment done , just tell the tech that i want (-0.05 in each is the maximum toe for the front and +0.08 in for the rear?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Basically you want the minimum amount of allowable "toe-out" in the front and the minimum amount of allowable "toe-in" in the rear that the specs will allow. I do not have 2007 or 2008 alignment specs so I can't confirm if the numbers posted above are correct. When you do get you alignment, posting your printout would sure be helpful for future discussions.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have heard of that before that's why I always go out and stand behind the car just outside the service bay and watch. But I've also been lucky and the techs that have done my work have integrity and take pride in their work.
That's an easy way to make someone nervous if you're not friendly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
sorry buddy, dealers only do toe sets, unless you pay for the more expensive alignment.
sorry, buddy I,m a Ford tech. I work at a dealership. The prices are diffrent at each privately owned dealership. They useually only go up if its a heavy truck or something like that.[:p]

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brakes plus a.ka. value brakes a.k.a best brakes a.k.a other names. They have changed there name several times because they have been sued so many times. They do shitty work don,t ever take ur car there. U are better off taking it to a hobo down the street.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Brakes plus a.k.a. value brakes a.k.a best brakes a.k.a other names. They have changed there name several times because they have been sued so many times. They do shitty work don't ever take ur car there. U are better off taking it to a hobo down the street.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
06focuskid....my Brakes Plus has been in the same location with the same name for over ten years. Since these are independently owned franchises (yes a person can own just one or a bunch in any given location) its stupid (an unsubstantiated) to claim that they are all bad. It comes down to management of each individual facility. How would you like me saying that every Ford dealer's repair facilities is "shitty"? That's pretty much a baseless statement. We both know there are "some" bad apples in any business and plenty of good ones. Exercise a little caution before making such unfounded accusations.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts